Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Paradiselost

Fs9 Size And Add On Scenery

I've been running FS9 for some time using a set up and configuration that has proven to be stable (touch wood) and that I'm happy with in terms of performance (or as happy as you can ever be in not needing that next FPS or % of traffic!)My issue is that there are several new add ons that are out there, or that I've hangared, that I'd like to add. My problem is wondering if I'm going to destabilize that configuration. I'm also getting to the point where disk space on my existing machine is becoming a more likely issue (85% used) of 80gb I have two questions. Is there any size at which FS9 as a library becomes an issue? I'm 40gb plus; provided there's space for temp files etc. is there any limitation?I also remember seeing one suggestion on a board a long time ago that one solution - and potential performance improvement - was to move the add on scenery to an external drive. As that folder is a lot of the disk I use that (with a nice fast disk, which are cheap these days) didn't sound like a bad idea. Presumably if that is an option the FS9 config file needs a tweak or two.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi there,moving your add-on scenery to a different hard drive isn't a problem at all. All you need to change in the scenery.cfg file is the path to your sceneries (i.e. instead of "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS9\Addon Scenery\xxx" it becomes "E:\Addon Scenery\xxx").Cheers,G

Thanks Gosta - any thoughts on performance - any potential for gains by splitting the work over more than one drive?

Hi,performance should improve a bit - the more free space you have on your main FS drive, the better. Also, each hard drive is normally allocated its own separate cache, so loading of scenery should also be marginally quicker.Cheers,G