Sign in to follow this  

Heading And Course

Hi all,Can someone please tell me whats the difference between Course and Heading, and what course is for and when it should be used. Sorry for dumb question but i cant get my head round course.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Try this page. It will give you some understanding concerning VOR navigation etc. http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-nav.htmBest Wishes, Randy J. Smith[h5]San Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Course is the direction the aircraft travels over the surface of the earth (in Australia we call it track)Heading is the direction you point the aircraft in order to maintain that course (or track). The heading compensates for any crosswind. The difference between the two is called the drift or the wind correction angle.When you plan a flight using a chart and you trace a line between two points, that is your course (track). The heading is calculated (in general aviation) using a navigation computer (or whizwheel) and the heading is always angled into the wind so that the arcraft is not blown off track. If there were no wind (a rare occurance) the HDG would be exactly the same as the CRS.(PS: You also need to convert the CRS you measure off the chart to degrees magnetic by adding or subtracting the magnetic variation. The chart give the CRS (TRK) in degrees true, the compass in the aircraft is magnetic)Fermin - fsadventures.net][/b