Sign in to follow this  

Rookie simmer

I have just completed the FS2002 Introductory Flight and at one point the instructor said:"Set the Tachometer at 2500 rpm".At that moment the Tacho showed 2400 rpm and an airspeed of 80 knots (throttle was still pushed fully forward).Not knowing how to increase the rpm further I ignored the instruction to find that shortly afterwards the Tacho showed 2200 rpm and an airspeed of 100 knots.What should I have done?I apologize if this is too basic a question for this Forum. :( I am using the CH Flight Sim Yoke and Pro Pedals USB.---------------------------------------------Windows 98 SE Pentium III, 600MHz384MB SDRAM 100MHznVidia TNT M64 32MB 2X AGP Video Card

Guest Smiley

It sounds like you were flying a plane with a constant speed propeller. You set the prop full forward for take off and use full throttle. Once at altitude and setting up for cruise flight you would adjust the prop for the RPM setting you want then adjust throttle for the desired fuel consumption depending on distance you are flying and/or speed you want to travel at.The levers on the dash should have highlighted text labelling them as you move the cursor over them. Move the cursor over the Throttle, Prop and Mixture levers to confirm this.Hope this helps !

Smiley Thanks for your prompt response.The plane is a Cessna 172SP. Not sure about a "constant speed propeller". Anyway, moving the prop lever about doesn't seem to make the slightest difference. Since the sound is rather muffled (realistically so ?) I am just wondering whether I am missing important instructions which may cause some of the mayhem - not to mention my highly idiosyncratic landings (sounds a bit better than crash landings)!! :)

Guest Richard_H

first C172s don't have a constant speed prop (so the prop lever on your CH Yoke won't work for this plane). Don't worry about that for the moment :)It could be you were in a climb when you checked the tacho. Certainly 80 Kts and full throttle reading 2400 sounds like it. When you level out a C172 should do c100 Kts at 2300ish. In real life, any more and you'll thrash the engine and use up more juice than you need.I thought you may have the carb heat on, but I seem to recall that new C172s don't have it (H on the keyboard).Finally, and I can't believe this is the reason as this is the tutorial flight, you could be very, very high >12,000' say, and the engine isn't as responsive as it should be.Hope this helpsRichard

Richard Thanks for your input. You are right, we weren't anywhere near 12,000'; supposed to be 2,000' - and actually maintained roughly as verified by flight analysis.I now think that at some point I should have pushed the throttle forward to reduce rpm - but no such instructions were given. And since I am a total beginner I tried to follow instructions to the letter - which may have been a mistake, bearing in mind the "howler" on page 11 in Ground School, Class 1 where you get in Fig 1-5 "Less lift with a lowered aileron - More lift with a raised aileron". I think I will just experiment until I get it right - after all it's not a matter of life and death. :)

Guest moomox

As well, if the throttle doesn't get you the RPM you want, try adjusting your mixture in the 172. It should give you a little more power at higher altitudes.

Guest Smiley

OK, the 172SP. I've flown the real one and it has a high speed cruise at 119 kts IAS at 2600 RPM or so at 2,000'. What the others have stated above about climbing, level flight or descending will have an effect on prop RPM/IAS. The only adjustments in a C172 to affect power are the mixture and whether both mags are on or off. If you reached altitude and the plane leveled out and the AI pulled the throttle back to 2200 and 100ias would be acceptable. The 172SP will do an economy cruise of 106kts at 2400 RPM. The 80 kts and 2400 rpm is the correct setting for climb after take off.You said you moved the throttle and it didn't make any difference. That tells me the AI was in control of the throttle or your throttle was not set up correctly. Check to see if the instructor was in control of the plane and that your CH yoke is functioning correctly in the game.btw, Push the throttle forward (firewall it) for full throttle, pull it back for idle.Hope these answers help :)

moomox and Smiley Once again many thanks for valuable information. Yes, the instructor was in control most of the time, and the CH Yoke seems to be functioning correctly.I still feel that some of your suggestions re mixture and throttle control should have been provided by the instructor - after all Ground School is supposed to be for total beginners with no previous knowledge.Am I right in thinking that all the Forum members are either professional pilots or highly experienced simmers? Where do other beginners hang out? Or am I just a total dunce with everybody else encountering no difficulties whatsoever? I am beginning to feel just a tad embarrassed asking such rudimentary questions. :-roll

Guest Grunt

#1. NEVER be embaressed here unlees you make a rude comment...everybody was new at one time, not all of the forum members are highly experienced, and most who are enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience!#2. You can get a lot of info about the C172 from the Dreamfleet POH availabe here: http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=6305Note: it is intended for a different model C172 but is a good startting pointOther learning resources:http://www.avsim.com/geoffschool/http://www.computerpilot.com/cpsampart.htmhttp://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htmhttp://member.newsguy.com/~flight/#3. Welcome and have fun simming!http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75b.gif

Grunt Thanks for the warm welcome and interesting links. Let's hope that in time I too will be able to chip in with advice and not just turn up with endless questions. In the meantime: Back to Ground School and Lesson Two. :-)BTW. I posted this reply before but for some reason it never made an appearance. Weird?