Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cactus521

Removal Of Fsx From One System, Reinstall On Another?

Bad news (for me),Although my question touches on hardware frustrations, my main purpose is how to I position myself so I can install FS-X on a new systemI (made the mistake) of buying a Gateway quad core system vs. building another myself. It ran great with FS-X for a week, until yesterday (the 31st), when it started to throw random blue screens my way. Sometimes at the click of a mouse, type of a key, etc. Sometimes it would run for two hours, sometimes four, sometimes ten minutes. Usually a BSOD would be preceded by some process failing or another.After successive attempts at system restores all the way back to day one, I suspect it's either a bad hard drive or bad ram, but since the unit's a week old rather than mess with it I plan on returning it and building one myself. I honestly think the hard drive is the culprit. Gateway put a Western Digital drive in the unit, and the last time I experienced blue screens was with a WD drive, which I replaced with a Seagate.My question, since FS-X registers itself online, how to I go about transferring the license to my new system, once built. I plan on removing it from the current one before I return it. But how does Microsoft know it's been removed so I can register on the new system with no issues?Any help would be much appreciated.Regards,John

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

JohnYou just install it again and register it again online. I've just completed another new install on a new machine (this will be the 4th for FSX, ie RTM then SP1 then Acceleration, etc) after a previous install 3 months ago and I had NO issues in re-registering.Good luckPeterH

JohnYou just install it again and register it again online. I've just completed another new install on a new machine (this will be the 4th for FSX, ie RTM then SP1 then Acceleration, etc) after a previous install 3 months ago and I had NO issues in re-registering.Good luckPeterH
Thanks Peter,Had to take the system back this AM, it wouldn't even boot without a Blue Screen. Took an hour of reboots before I could clean it of my personal data and uninstall what I had added over the past week. So I'm writing this post on my old P3/800. What's encouraging is I know now I can build a system that will run FS-X well. The retailer gave me a refund, in the short week since I bought my system it had been discontinued. Hmmmm--maybe others had problems. Over the next few days I will go out and build one on my own, roughly to the same specs, but at least if it fails no one will be to blame but me.In the short time I ran FS-X I enjoyed some great flights. Take a peek at the screenshots forum at my Tileproxy posts.Thanks again and thanks to those who took the time to send me a PM.Regards,John

Hi JohnSounds like a "Friday" computer!! Good luck with the new rig. I'm very happy with my E8600 and a P45 mobo it runs FSX quite well for under $1000 icluding a licence for Vista64.Good luckPeterH