Sign in to follow this  
Guest RichardGilbertSharpe

*.xml, *.mdl & *.jpeg Files Inside Fs2004 Scenery & Texture File Folders

Guest RichardGilbertSharpe

Hello All:I am installing most of Ed DesRoches & Brent Robillard's Canadian airport Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 sceneries presently. I am using them just as an example for this query. What are these oddly placed *.MDL, *.XML and *.JPEG files scattered randomly throughout the scenery and texture file folders within these and numerous sceneries created by other authors? I have listed six of them below just so you know what I mean:BEIGE_HANGER.MDLBLUE_ROOF.MDLCARP_OFFICE.MDLOPEN_L_STEEL_HANGER.MDLRED_ROOF.MDLSML_HANGER.MDLSome authors' scenery and texture files within their scenery and texture file folders have corresponding *.XML document files of the same name in there too. They are scattered throughout nearly all of these authors' Canadian airport sceneries within either or both of the scenery and texture file folders. I am not a Microsoft Flight Simulator aircraft or scenery designer, but I have a feeling that they are the ''leftovers'', so to speak, from when the authors created each scenery, and were just probably left there by accident before uploading to either Aviation Simulation (AVSIM) Online or Nels Anderson's FlightSim.com. Are these important simply for the scenery to function and be seen within FS2004, or can I delete all of the *.MDL and *.XML document files present if I have no intention of ever modifying the scenery myself? I have a hunch that the usual *.BGL scenery files are the only files that are necessary in any FS2004 scenery folders and that the usual *.BMP texture files are the only files that are necessary in any FS2004 texture folders just for it to function correctly within FS2004. Am I correct in assuming this? Also, occasionally I'll find *.JPEG files within some authors' texture folders alongside the usual *.BMP texture files. Are these just misplaced screenshots or are they placed in there purposely for the scenery to function correctly in FS2004? Please let me know on all three file types: *.MDL, *.BMP and *.JPEG. Thank you very much. Sincerely,Richard Sharpe

Hello All:I am installing most of Ed DesRoches & Brent Robillard's Canadian airport Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 sceneries presently. I am using them just as an example for this query. What are these oddly placed *.MDL, *.XML and *.JPEG files scattered randomly throughout the scenery and texture file folders within these and numerous sceneries created by other authors? I have listed six of them below just so you know what I mean:BEIGE_HANGER.MDLBLUE_ROOF.MDLCARP_OFFICE.MDLOPEN_L_STEEL_HANGER.MDLRED_ROOF.MDLSML_HANGER.MDLSome authors' scenery and texture files within their scenery and texture file folders have corresponding *.XML document files of the same name in there too. They are scattered throughout nearly all of these authors' Canadian airport sceneries within either or both of the scenery and texture file folders. I am not a Microsoft Flight Simulator aircraft or scenery designer, but I have a feeling that they are the ''leftovers'', so to speak, from when the authors created each scenery, and were just probably left there by accident before uploading to either Aviation Simulation (AVSIM) Online or Nels Anderson's FlightSim.com. Are these important simply for the scenery to function and be seen within FS2004, or can I delete all of the *.MDL and *.XML document files present if I have no intention of ever modifying the scenery myself? I have a hunch that the usual *.BGL scenery files are the only files that are necessary in any FS2004 scenery folders and that the usual *.BMP texture files are the only files that are necessary in any FS2004 texture folders just for it to function correctly within FS2004. Am I correct in assuming this? Also, occasionally I'll find *.JPEG files within some authors' texture folders alongside the usual *.BMP texture files. Are these just misplaced screenshots or are they placed in there purposely for the scenery to function correctly in FS2004? Please let me know on all three file types: *.MDL, *.BMP and *.JPEG. Thank you very much. Sincerely,Richard Sharpe
Your "hunch" is basically correct - mdl and xml files are most likely leftovers or the author simply did not know they did not need to be included. Jpgs are not used in FS2004.Rather than just deleting them, I would recommend putting these items in a temporary folder with the scenery you find them in - just in case you need to restore any of them after checking out the airport. If you find no issues, then proceed to delete them.Hope this helps.