Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

For 2k2 Concorde fans

I heard the sad news on ABC radio today, that British Airways plans on ending Concorde service within weeks. I haven't seen any other verification of this, but if it is true, it is a sign of the ending of a wonderful contribution to aviation. I am glad that it was recognized in 2k2, and at least can live on in our sim....BTW, anyone have a link to the recently released Concorde package?

Guest Muppet22

That is rubbish!

Do you mean rubbish, as in "bummer", or are you accusing me of inventing the story? I am just reporting what was said on the radio.As an edit, this is the only link I can find on the web, which discusses BA being in the process of making a decision, but doesn't discuss the outcome. The link has a timestamp several hours prior to my hearing the ABC report...http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?t...storyID=2534176

Guest Muppet22

Hi JohnI'm certainly not accusing you of making it up, I heard it myself earlier. It's simply the media making things up, I'm sure it will be BIG news when BA decide to stop using them in maybe 2005 or 2006.Cheers :-)

See my edit above---Something is brewing. I didn't know that there were financial issues involved--I always thought the Concorde ran at a profit...-John

Guest AndrewW

months now. At this point in time, the decision is in the final stages of discussion and a date will follow shortly. However the final date is always subject to change. GBOAE and OAF are undergoing major S checks at the moment, leaving only OAD and OAC in service. I believe OAG is still waiting for the re-enforced door, which will be a requirement when flying into the U.S after April 9th. The result of this means that BA have had to cancel a number of their flights to NY (4 trips I believe). This is due to the implementation of the new door, which is more of a task to install than first planned. Rumours have been circulating on a retirement date for many months now - though this latest statement is the most ridiculous one I have heard so far. The airline is due to issue a statement tomorrow (10th April) on the topic. I wouldn't take the BBC's word on October 03 just yet - though this may not be far off...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2934257.stmAlternatively keep an eye on the following page: http://www.britishairways.com/press/Andrewhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e931daf674e7c54.jpg

I'm curious, as to why ABC reported such news, since they'd be at risk of damages if such a report hurt BA's business. I heard the report during the 10AM (PST) newscast, so that would have been 1PM EST....

Guest AndrewW

The fact that British Airways is spending quite a sum of money to implement the new door design into the fleet - and putting two or three aircraft through an S check in the last few weeks is enough to suggest that they're not due for retirement for at least a few months.The decision to put the fleet though a second D check, extending an aircrafts lifetime by 24,000 hours (I think), has been pulled. This would have allowed the airline to continue flying the aircraft until around 2015. I think we should look for a time around 2005/6 as Tom has said. It would be a great shame to see it go before! Andrewhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e931daf674e7c54.jpg

Well, I just saw on BBC World an hour ago that the BA Concordes will be retired within a few months (after the summer). According to BBC BA has concluded that they are too unreliable and too expensive to keep flying.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2934257.stmCedar

I have to laugh at the multiple threads that have since appeared.... I guess few found my thread.... Still, it's sad that an era will come to an end. The lastest info I've read states AF will end scheduled flights at the end of next month, and retire the program altogether in October...-John

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hello John.As far as I know (but can't confirm) the Concorde fleet has never turned out profit. It was always supported (financially) by the rest of the fleet, and kept as a means of differentiating the two companies from the rest, purely for status.It is sad to see such a beautiful and extreme machine leave the skies, but hopefully it will spark enough will in people to start putting together the steps for our next supersonic transporter.

Guest xoio

Just to set the record straight about the timetable of the demise of Concorde....If you actually got to British Airways's web site:In fact just cut 'n' paste this link:http://www.britishairways.com/press/From the horses mouth so to speak.Al

I also read in another press release on Reuters that Virgin is looking at running the Concorde fleet, if BA will sell it, and their study proves they can run it with reasonable costs. It was said they suggested this to AF a few years back as well.I know only one person who has flown on the Concorde--a former coworker who flew it in his teens. Sadly, he was not an aviation buff, so his description of the flight wasn't that interesting. He did say that once the sound barrier was broken, it got markedly quiet inside the aircraft, but I don't know what "quiet" meant. I remember the Ford "quieter than a glider commercials". I used to go soaring frequently, and it didn't seen quiet to me :)

Andrew and all lovers of Concorde,This is a sad day indeed. I've never flown on Concorde and have only seen her three times "in the flesh". Once at JFK whilst waiting for a connecting flight, once while observing from the car park roof at London Heathrow and the third and most memorable occasion was when she flew into Manchester (EGCC) 3 weeks before the awful Paris crash in July 2000.Standing only 150 yards from those 4 Rolls-Royce Olympus engines as they spooled up to full power was unforgettable. My chest cavity rattled as never before and the hairs on my neck stood up. The noise was deafening but the sight of this elegant aircraft hurtling down the runway made me feel proud to be British. The closest comparison I can think of is how an American would feel watching either the Space Shuttle or the Apollo Saturn rockets lift-off. One of immense pride in what our countrymen achieved. It's a lasting testament to the designers - both British and French - that they produced such a beautiful aircraft that looks as good today as it did when it first took to the skies on 9 April 1969.Many of the messages I have read today talk about the cost of keeping her airborne and of course this must be the prime consideration for any company. But what cost do you put on the thrill of seeing such a fantastic aircraft fly? Where I live close to Manchester Airport allows me to see many different types of aircraft on a daily basis but there are none that turn my head the way Concorde does. It is a truly beautiful aircraft and 31 October will be a very sad day for the whole aviation industry.I'm so pleased I will still be able to fly her in FS2002 and FS-COF.Regards,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather