Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

When To Update The Bios

All my parts are here for my i7 940 build except for my TRU 120 (2 more days) so I have been reading the MOBO manual and have been able to digest it pretty well so far but this being my first actuall build I have a question as to what is the best time to update the BIOS? Should I get it all up and running as is out of the box, install OS, then BIOS update, or update the BIOS before the OS is installed? Thanks, Jim

Jim Wenham

Guest JimBrown

I've always updated the BIOS as the first thing to do.UPS showed up at my door today. Started jumping for joy. Then stopped. He only had one of the two boxes in that shipment. I wouldn't sign for it without the other, so he took it back and said he'd probably be back tomorrow.Doesn't really matter though. The backordered items only shipped yesterday. :-) May have everything late this week or early next week. Then I get to have the same fun you're about to!Regards,...jim

Guest Alphahawk3
All my parts are here for my i7 940 build except for my TRU 120 (2 more days) so I have been reading the MOBO manual and have been able to digest it pretty well so far but this being my first actuall build I have a question as to what is the best time to update the BIOS? Should I get it all up and running as is out of the box, install OS, then BIOS update, or update the BIOS before the OS is installed? Thanks, Jim
Jim, Did you have the Asus P6T board? Anyway I have updated the P6T Bios 3 times....I saw no difference after any update. I do know as probably you also that on a rare occasion a bios flash can go bad. A lot of board makers and so called gurus recommend you don't flash the bios unless it is causing some sort of problem. In my many years of computing....I am no guru just an avid user.....I have never had a flash to go bad. But if there is an upgrade I would do it before I installed everything if possible. Regards

Yes its the P6T board. Not sure yet as to which version is on it now as I am eagerly awaiting for my TRU120 to get here before I build it. I only ask because alot of people seem to be having memory issues and the last bios released on Dec. 29 and the 3 before it addressed memory compatability. Although after reading the ASUS forum it seems that more than half of the people having the memory problem are using the 920 CPU so maybe I wont have any as I bought the 940. Thermalright put the cooler on the slow boat to my house. UPS says it will be delivered Thursday the 8th and I ordered it on the 29th Dec. Its been over a year now! :(

Jim Wenham

Guest Alphahawk3
Yes its the P6T board. Not sure yet as to which version is on it now as I am eagerly awaiting for my TRU120 to get here before I build it. I only ask because alot of people seem to be having memory issues and the last bios released on Dec. 29 and the 3 before it addressed memory compatability. Although after reading the ASUS forum it seems that more than half of the people having the memory problem are using the 920 CPU so maybe I wont have any as I bought the 940. Thermalright put the cooler on the slow boat to my house. UPS says it will be delivered Thursday the 8th and I ordered it on the 29th Dec. Its been over a year now! :(
I have the P6 with the 920 and DDR3 1600 mem...overkill for the 920...in a way. I have had no mem problems at all. I bought the 1600 for down the road and only wanted to buy at one time....but I have had it running at 1603...now it is running at 1403.....or somewhere close to that. I have run some benchmarks and am quite happy with it. FTX just finished all of Australia today and I have my FSX set up according to Nicks reccomendations and I am very happy. I know my 9600GT card is my bottle neck and I could use the 260 but it will have to wait as the money is not there. I only fly GA...I don't know your flying habits but I am sure you will be quite satisfied with the 940. FTX is starting to do scenery in North America now and if you have not used it you should give it a try. They have a free demo of Tasmania and while it is not flying in the US it shows one what FSX can be like. I fly around Alaska and Bear Gulch with lots of snow and a frame rate hog aircraft....Bush Hawk XP.....and the 920 handles it fine. Regards