Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike_2011

AutoFlight

Guest Mike_2011

Is there any special procedure to turn on Auto Flight as soon as I take off I press Auto Flight but it wont engage Route is in Weight is in CI is in?

Is there any special procedure to turn on Auto Flight as soon as I take off I press Auto Flight but it wont engage Route is in Weight is in CI is in?
I would suggest that you read the manual and go step by step through the tutorial (it is very well done). You are no doubt missing a step in there some where.

Guest KSTLFF

Ya, read the tutorial, that will answer and school you on the procedures of the MD11. But to answer the question, your FMC needs to be programed properly , you need to have here config right, and if you do, then you will have no yellow warnings in the CFD. If all is done right, you need to push the PROF button and NAV button and you will see PORF and NAV armed above your artifical horizan. And if again if all is done right you will have a green box on the bottom of the CFD and that is telling you all is set for take off. All this needs to be done prior to entering the rwy. So once you have a positive rate of climb and wheels up, I usally fly her to 10k then hit autoflight, the autopilot takes over. But you can do that as soon as you have a positive rate of climb. Hope that helps you, just remember you have to arm PROF and NAV for autoflight.Brett Lucas

But you can do that as soon as you have a positive rate of climb. Hope that helps you, just remember you have to arm PROF and NAV for autoflight.Brett Lucas
In the tutorial PROF is not armed, but it is a possibility. You do have to press Autoflight once though, before taking off, to arm the autothrust sytem. Beware not to use more than N1 65% after that, during taxi or when you want to enter the runway, because that will activate auto-thrust: you really don't want that to happen at that moment! :( Also afaik you shouldn't turn on Autoflight below 400 ft: 'as soon as you have a positive rate of climb' might be too soon. If I am not mistaken pressing Autoflight below 400 ft will give you the AP off warning instead of turning it on.In short: indeed read and actually fly the tutorial! :(

In the tutorial PROF is not armed, but it is a possibility. You do have to press Autoflight once though, before taking off, to arm the autothrust sytem. Beware not to use more than N1 65% after that, during taxi or when you want to enter the runway, because that will activate auto-thrust: you really don't want that to happen at that moment! :( Also afaik you shouldn't turn on Autoflight below 400 ft: 'as soon as you have a positive rate of climb' might be too soon. If I am not mistaken pressing Autoflight below 400 ft will give you the AP off warning instead of turning it on.In short: indeed read and actually fly the tutorial! :(
You are correct. Autopilot will not engage below 400ft.

Guest KSTLFF
You are correct. Autopilot will not engage below 400ft.
I agree, I think I was thinking above 400 ft in my head just never made it to the key board, but like I said I take her to 10k and on course by hand before handing it over to the AP......