Sign in to follow this  
flyinjoe

Which SDK should I be using

I'm having trouble getting Simconnect to work with ASX/ASA. I keep getting an error message about not having the proper SP# SDK installed. I have FSX Deluxe with the Acceleration Pack installed. I have tried making things work with both the SP1A and SP2 SDK and they do to a certain extent. I can run any of the Samples in the SDK folder with either SP installation, but I can't get ASX/ASA to work. I'm not looking for help with ASX/ASA (I will ask for that help on the proper forum), but I just want to make sure I am using the proper SDK version.With the Acceleration Pack installed, should I be using SP1a or SP2 SDK?

Essentially, unless you are actually looking to develop a SimConnect based application, you do not need to install the SimConnect SDK at all to get a SimConnect enabled application like ASX/ASA to work. All the necessary SimConnect files are loaded by the base FSX installers and following service packs (so not by the SDKs - though the SDK does provide an installer to allow for required SimConnect files to be installed on a machine which is to remotely connect to the one which is running FSX). There are different versions of SimConnect for the base version, SP1 and SP2/Acceleration but these all happily live together as they are side-by-side (sxs) assemblies.Therefore if ASX/ASA are not working it is because they are misconfigured, or you have a corrupt SimConnect installation of one of the side-by-side assemblies it needs. Pete Dowson (of FSUIPC4 fame) provides some suggestions in this thread from SimFlight on how to log and re-install SimConnect.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

Thanks. I eventually got everything worked out based on another thread in this forum. The problems were all on the client machine. Based on the other thread, I went ahead and installed the original Deluxe DVD version of SDK on the client machine and ran the SimConnect.msi file to load the SimConnect client. Then I installed the SP1a update on the client machine and installed that SimConnect.msi file without uninstalling the previous Client version. I never went beyond Sp1a on the client machine. After doing that, everything worked like a charm. I guess now I could go ahead and uninstall the SDK package from the client machine, but I believe in the old saying of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' so i'm leaving everything alone. :)