Sign in to follow this  

Piper Archer II Review

I found the "deeply disappointed" comment about a door not opening quite out of place. This is a FLIGHT sim not an art sim. That such a small item was "deeply disappointing" seemed excessive.The flight model, which after all is why we are here (aren't we?), does fail to account for the elasticity/fluidity of air and imparts a direct connection from the controls to the motion of the aircraft. This is VERY DISAPPOINTING. I have seen other aircraft where this occurs and just toss them in the delete bin since such behavior is totally unrealistic. just compare this to the new Rob Young C172 air file where there is an elasticity and inertia exhibited, as it should be.Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Dick,Thank you very much for your comments on my review. It's always good to have feedback from our readers.In my opinion eyecandy, as some call it, is just as important to me and many simmers as is the flight-model and the behaviour of the aircraft.This is particularly true when looking at a commercially released add-on aircraft, as is the case with my present review.Hence my dissappointmend to see that a feature that has become standard with FS2K2 is not included, although some would call the possibility of opening and closing doors an unnecessary gimmick.As the reviewer of this package I have had the subjective feeling of being deeply disappointed when I found the feature not to be present, hence this feeling found it's way into the review.I have also pointed out in my review that the flight-model is not perfect, yet acceptable. The thing is that there are many simmers out there who have never flown or not flown much in real life, as is my case, so it becomes difficult to judge where the "error" is when it comes to the flight-model; is it because of the way FS simulates flight or is it because the flight-model is faulty.At the end of the day a review will always feature subjective impressions from the person writing it.I absolutely agree that the C-172 airfile from Rob Young IS outstanding and remarkable.As you can see the aircraft has received a 3 star rating. I invite you and all other interested to read the rating policy and how all reviews are rated because the rating of any add-on that we review is put into perspective if that policy is taken into account. A link to the review policy is included in every review.Again thanks very much for the feedback, it is very much appreciated.

Seemed like a fair review to me. The opening door thing only becomes an issue when it's missing, like here, in a payware aircraft when that payware aircraft shares the marketplace with other payware aircraft that do have this feature. It is a curious omission, but not a game-stopper.The over-lighting on the other hand, is ludicrous. It's not as if FS has just been dropped on the unsuspecting sim community. The parameters for night lighting have been understood for years, so making something so bright that the outside view is compromised is daft. Having said that, does this aircraft not have separate panel and dome (flood) lights? If not, why not? The real one does.I am curious as to whether you dicsovered the sound file source? Were they bespoke sounds?ChasW

ChasW,Sorry for replying just now.I have actually checked out the sound.cfg file of the aircraft and my suspicion was confirmed. The sound file is aliased to the stock C182 sounds.I should have thought about doing that when I have written the review and clarified it there.Thanks for pointing out the omission to me on this particular issue.Happy flyingRalph HummelStaff ReviewerAVSIM Online

Rslph,As far as the sounds are concerned, it's easy enough to look in the a/c's Sound folder and read the sound.cfg in notepad.exe...If the a/c hasn't got its own sounds, the entry in the sound.cfg will be:alias=XXXX <= points to another a/c's sounds.BillAVSIM Ombudsmanombudsman@avsim.comFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://mtco.com/~rsam/fartslogo.jpg

Bill,Seems like I beat you by 3 minutes with clarifying that issue ;). I have simply missed clarifying this in my review, respectively I had written the draft before I had cross-checked the sound.cfg and somehow (I know, I know) I have failed to change that in my review. To be honest I thought I DID change it when I posted the review to the editors, but reading back again through my published review it has become clear that I did not. My fault for not doing so.Happy flying Ralph Hummel Staff Reviewer AVSIM Online