Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck_B

Boot Problem - 3 Hard Drives.

I am pulling my hair out on this one and have been for weeks! And I'm sure there's a (fairly) simple solution, it's just my inexperience with XP64 and/or SATA configurations that's holding me back, so if anyone has a suggestion I'd truly appreciate it.I was experimenting with performance on my rig between 3 internal SATA hard drives: a WD Raptor, a new Seagate 500 gig with 32 meg cache, and a 2nd slightly older Seagate 500 gig'er, which now is used solely for holding my old XP 32 install, and all of my Acronis backups. Unfortunately, I've stuck myself with a triple boot set up that I intended from the start to only be dual boot -- it's now 2 XP64 installs and one XP 32, when I just wanted 1 XP 64 on the Raptor, and one XP 32 on the new Seagate. (Confused yet? Wait -- it gets better!).Now, I can't get my computer to boot with just the C: drive in the box; The system is booting to Windows via the boot.ini residing on the D: drive and I've been flying FS9 off the C: drive install OK in XP 64 Pro, but I know my system is definitely not optimized with the current 3 drive setup. But if I disconnect or rearrange the SATA cables in any other order than the present order, or even physically remove one of the drives my computer simply doesn't boot. It POSTS, but never finds the boot.ini file and the cursor just flashes at the black screen. All drives have a boot.ini file, ntloadr and ntdetect files on them, and I've tried copying these files over to the C:, but no joy.My BIOS and boot.ini shows the following drive assignements. Remeber: If I try to physically disconnect any of the drives or reconfigure them in the BIOS or boot.ini file in any way other order than this one, my system won't boot (I just get that bloody blinking cursor, laughing cruelly at me): 1 -Seagate Drive 1 -- D: Drive in Windows2- Seagate Drive 2 -- E: Drive (former C: drive)3- WD Raptor - C: DriveBoot priority: 1STBOOT DEVICE Memorex DVD 2ND BOOT DEVICE SM-ST3500320ASSATA Devices:SATA 1 - WD Raptor (C: Drive)SATA 2 - Seagate Drive 1 -- D: Drive in WindowsSATA 3 - NOT DETECTED (plug for external 1 TB SATA)SATA 4 - Seagate Drive 2 -- E: Drive, (former C: drive)Here is my boot.ini file:[boot loader]timeout=5default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 32" /noexecute=optin /fastdetectmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional Professional x64 (Seagate 32MGB Cache)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetectmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on Raptor" /noexecute=optin /fastdetectBefore I just reformat the E: drive I wanted to post my problem here -- I'm afraid if I just wipe the E: drive I won't be able to boot at all and then I'll REALLY be screwed. After I did all this I thought I read that XPPro 64 doesn't allow for multiple OS booting, but I'm already dual booting, so I've kind of eliminated that as a problem, don't you think? BTW, my XP64Pro is an OEM, just in case you think that matters.Thank you for any help you can provide - I really want to avoid ANOTHER fresh install. I'm all re-nstalled out for this winter. :(

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!