Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Ping is higher than usual

Not exactly pertaining to FSX but oh well. My ping as of late has been really high, like in the 100's. I have a 5mb charter communication cable connection. I usually can ping the Twin Cities (using site speedtest.net) in about 40-60 ms. I've recently been jumping around at 120-160ms. Anyone know what the problem might be? I run NOD32 and Firefox 3 with some plugins. That's the only things running in the background. Is Vista more network heavy than XP?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest JimBrown

Probably nothing to do with your system. Try a tracert to the same address. That will show the ping time to each hop along the way. You'll probably find a jump in ping times somewhere. That being the case, nothing you can do about it.Regards,...jim

Guest Alphahawk3
Not exactly pertaining to FSX but oh well. My ping as of late has been really high, like in the 100's. I have a 5mb charter communication cable connection. I usually can ping the Twin Cities (using site speedtest.net) in about 40-60 ms. I've recently been jumping around at 120-160ms. Anyone know what the problem might be? I run NOD32 and Firefox 3 with some plugins. That's the only things running in the background. Is Vista more network heavy than XP?
I guess it could be an issue if you multiplay or are a VA pilot.....but that is not a horrible ping time. It is less than 200 so you should be able to on-line game OK. The US mostly sucks for internet....I lived outside the US for 21 years.....but we have it better than a lot....Austalia is not good...as a developed country...and the 3rd world is horrible....most of my time in Saudi I did not have it all until 1998 and it was dial up and horrible and still is. On the other hand I have been in households in Sweden that have 100 meg/PS fiber to the house for the equivalent of 30 bucks a month...you should see one of those in operation........same in Finland, and Japan has had those super high band width lines for years...at low prices and they make money. The US Defense Department invents it and it starts here and we are way behind...greed is an awful thing..and we just put up with it. Charter was so bad in my hometown here the public utility company started an INTERNET and cable company to provide people with some sort of decent service...it has helped.....and this is not a rural community....Charter just does not care about service. Most of the time with net problems you are always at the mercy of some place outside of your home. Hope you get it better. Regards