Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest lalo lolo1

Covert bmp into proper dds files

Hey guys,I have painted several liveries for FS9 (some of them here at Avsim) and I am trying to start with FSX but I am finding a problem wtih DDS files.As usual I work on bmp files to paint the templates, but when I convert them with DXTbmp to DDS files, the file size is always different than the original DDS file, painted by the developer, no matter if I save it as DXT1, 3 or 5 (always DDS). That wouldn't be a problem if the livery showed when I select the aircraft, but the livery looks totally black.Any ideas what am I doing wrong? Should I use any other DDS editor? Which one if so?ThanksLeo

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey guys,I have painted several liveries for FS9 (some of them here at Avsim) and I am trying to start with FSX but I am finding a problem wtih DDS files.As usual I work on bmp files to paint the templates, but when I convert them with DXTbmp to DDS files, the file size is always different than the original DDS file, painted by the developer, no matter if I save it as DXT1, 3 or 5 (always DDS). That wouldn't be a problem if the livery showed when I select the aircraft, but the livery looks totally black.Any ideas what am I doing wrong? Should I use any other DDS editor? Which one if so?ThanksLeo
Make sure you have the latest version of DXTBmp , NOT by simply looking at the version number , actually download it again from Martin Wrights website.Including the latest DDL set.That will do the trick.You might stick to the DXT5-DDS, very good quality.If you want ultimate quality go for 32 bit DDS and do not care about the filesize ,FSX won`t notice, nor suffer any FPS loss.http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Make sure you have the latest version of DXTBmp , NOT by simply looking at the version number , actually donload it again from Martin Wrights website.Including the latest DDL set.That will do the trick.You might stick to the DXT5-DDS, very good quality.If you want ultimate quality go for 32 bit DDS and do not care about the filesize ,FSX won`t notice, nor suffer any FPS loss.http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm
Worked. Awesome answer!Thank you very much Leen!I love Avsim and its members. You save me from googling forever.Leo