Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest TripleDelta

FSX Incomplete Mesh Question

Hello all,I have a question regarding the default FSX mesh. As far as I've heard it's a global problem, but in my neck of the woods (Croatia), the coastlines and islands are rather inaccurate - or even missing in some instances (several large-ish islands are not even represented in the sim). At first I paid no attention to it, but playing with the FS map today, I noticed something confusing.Namely, when I scroll the map quickly, I get a different representation of the terrain (before it stops fully drawing that is) that is noticeably more accurate than the end result. To clarify, I've attached two screenshots, one during scrolling and one when it all settles down.The first one is what I normally see on the map when everything loads. The second though is what I see when I scroll quickly, before it has time to load. You'll note that there are noticeably more islands represented - islands that in reality exist, but not in the sim.Now, my question is, if the sim has the elevation data for them - since they can clearly be seen when scrolling - why doesn't it display them in the sim? I've tried playing around with the scenery settings (everything from minimum to maximum) and still nothing. Can anybody please advise me why is this happening and is there any way of bringing all those details out? I'm running Acceleration.Thanks!DISCLAIMER: I wanted to search the forum for topics like these, but I honestly didn't know how to condense this into several words the search engine can understand :(

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello whatever your name is,Welcome to the Avsim forum and thank you for asking a very good question on a subject that most people don't know.The problem has to do with vector terrain, not altitude mesh which is a different type of scenery.Flight Simulator 2004, the previous version, used source data for its coastlines that was not particularly accurate or detailed in many parts of the world, including the U.S.A. However, it did represent land masses with certain detail in some places, and it seems that this was the case for your region.For Flight Simulator X, a different data set was used that provided more accuracy and detail in many parts of North America, but much less in some other parts of the world.So, why do you see more detail in the Map view (and in the GPS gauge) and less in game while flying?There are now two different terrain representations in the game: one is used for what you see when flying and the other is only displayed in the GPS and, it would seem, the Map.Why? In principle, this is to allow for a less detailed terrain model in the GPS that would improve loading and performance for that gauge, while keeping the more detailed terrain for flight only.However, the developers used the previous data set, the FS 9 terrain, for the GPS gauge, and the new terrain for flight display. So, if the new data is less detailed, and that seems to be the case for you, then you will see a more inaccurate coastline while flying, but more detail in the GPS.This can be fixed pretty easily if you are willing to do a little work. Unfortunately, the GPS terrain display is a little buggy and does not work very well; it seems to quickly revert to displaying the flight terrain instead. But, you can re-draw the flight terrain to get much more detail. Please ask in the Scenery Design forum if interested.Best regards.Luis

Luis,Thanks for the welcome and many thanks for the reply! I've been wondering how to get around the mesh problem since there are no addon meshes for Croatia yet available (and the last time I tried creating scenery for FS, it all ended in tears). I mostly fly VFR, so I kind of miss the islands :( I'll post this in the Scenery Design forum to see what can be done.Thanks again and regards,Boran (TripleD)