Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dougal

Tech Question

While searching through various bgl files in FSX, I see i've added quite a number of bgl files downloaded from here.What I don't understand, is why that doesn't cause problems in FSX.....?For example; my original FSX bgl file containing airport info for KLAX (and others) is still in it's original location. In 'Addon Scenery\Scenery' there's another bgl that appears to contain almost all the same info as the original, plus the new additions etc.Why does this not cause a problem? Also, if I have many such bgl files, is all the superfluous data slowing anything down?Sorry to sound so dim, it's just an area of FSX i know little about.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

While searching through various bgl files in FSX, I see i've added quite a number of bgl files downloaded from here.What I don't understand, is why that doesn't cause problems in FSX.....?For example; my original FSX bgl file containing airport info for KLAX (and others) is still in it's original location. In 'Addon Scenery\Scenery' there's another bgl that appears to contain almost all the same info as the original, plus the new additions etc.Why does this not cause a problem? Also, if I have many such bgl files, is all the superfluous data slowing anything down?Sorry to sound so dim, it's just an area of FSX i know little about.
The .bgl scenery that is sitting highest in the scenery library is the one used. I know what you mean though! Especially AFCAD's! Jim

That's why there are scenery layers to play with, something may change the default at layer 5 and then itself get changed by something in layer 1. Duplicate airport files (AFCAD is sooooo FS9!) can exist on a system, especially if all the proper DELETE coding is done in them. Without proper DELETE coding there is the chance of things messing up.It behooves the user to try to understand what the files they are adding do and how they might affect other files already on the system.