Sign in to follow this  
Guest steve31000

Light Bloom - From the Sun only?

Guest steve31000

Yesterday, I watched Orbx's latest video trailer for their scenery (check it out, one of the greatest fsx videos I've ever seen and really makes you see what's possible) in which they had light bloom turned on. Everything ran silky smooth and looked awesome. Must have a fantastic rig to run that I thought. I was wrong. At the end of the video they show the specs that it was running on - an XPS laptop with an 8800GTX card and 4gigs of ram. So I thought I ought to give light bloom a try over their scenery (light bloom nearly kills my computer when its on so normally I have it off)I was flying over Orbx's superb scenery demo of Tasmania with light bloom enabled when low and behold I was maintaing my normal locked frame rate - 30fps. However when I approached an airport frame rates dropped due to added bloom coming from the ground. It then occured to me that perhaps its possible to alter the FSX .cfg and select bloom only from the sun and not from ground objects. Unfortunately I have no idea how to change this but think its a great idea as bloom from the sun really does add to atmosphere especially when flying at dusk. So allow me to please throw the question out there, does anybody know if and how its possible to receive bloom from the sun only?RegardsSteveP.S. I have tried the San Andreas bloom effect but personally, I feel it is too strong the way the whole sky becomes brighter

Must have a fantastic rig to run that I thought. I was wrong. At the end of the video they show the specs that it was running on - an XPS laptop with an 8800GTX card and 4gigs of ram.
Not an answer to your question, sorry, but I'd like to say that a lot of trailers (if not all) aren't simply recorded 'real life'. I remember a post of the main OrbX guy who said he usually record FSX-movies with FSX running at half speed (or even less, can't remember) and then the recording is speeded up in the movie-edit program. This of course makes things look a lot more fluid... So being able to make a fluid FSX movie on that laptop doesn't mean you can actually run FSX just as smooth on that same laptop.