Sign in to follow this  
Guest Totalbeginner

Go around from a non precision approach (MD11)?

Guest Totalbeginner

I have a question regarding a go-around from a non precision approach. This is aimed at the MD11 but could apply to any aircraft really.If you use PROF or FPA to descend the aircraft to MDA, you will have the MDA set as a minima, and again in the ALT window. If you press the G/A button when you cross the MAPt, the aircraft will climb, and then immediately level because it is already above the ALT on the MCP?How is it done in the real world? Do you wait for the A/C to level at MDA, then select the missed approach ALT, then press the G/A button as you pass the MAPt? Or,When crossing the MAPt, do you select a higher altitude and simply PULL for a climb in FLCH? i.e. should the G/A button only be used to execute a go-around from a precision approach?Regards,Martin Neep

Guest krullenbol
I have a question regarding a go-around from a non precision approach. This is aimed at the MD11 but could apply to any aircraft really.If you use PROF or FPA to descend the aircraft to MDA, you will have the MDA set as a minima, and again in the ALT window. If you press the G/A button when you cross the MAPt, the aircraft will climb, and then immediately level because it is already above the ALT on the MCP?How is it done in the real world? Do you wait for the A/C to level at MDA, then select the missed approach ALT, then press the G/A button as you pass the MAPt? Or,When crossing the MAPt, do you select a higher altitude and simply PULL for a climb in FLCH? i.e. should the G/A button only be used to execute a go-around from a precision approach?Regards,Martin Neep
When leaving the Final Approach Fix, preselect the FCP ALT to the MDA (same as set on PFD). When you get HOLD on the FMA, preselect Go Around alt on the FCP. This is how it's done for a Circling Approch. During a normal non-precision you go around on the MDA when you do not have the runway enviroment in sight, because with a big jet it isn't a good idea to maintain an altitude for a certain time on the approach and then dive towards the runway when you have it in sight just before MAPt. Floris

If you use PROF or FPA to descend the aircraft to MDA, you will have the MDA set as a minima, and again in the ALT window. If you press the G/A button when you cross the MAPt, the aircraft will climb, and then immediately level because it is already above the ALT on the MCP?How is it done in the real world? Do you wait for the A/C to level at MDA, then select the missed approach ALT, then press the G/A button as you pass the MAPt? Or,When crossing the MAPt, do you select a higher altitude and simply PULL for a climb in FLCH? i.e. should the G/A button only be used to execute a go-around from a precision approach?Regards,Martin Neep
- no level off at the MDA; reaching the MDA is like a decision ALT/ height; the commander will decide: continue or GA, u have to be quick to select the GA ALT if u are going to use PROF mode, (usually no problem, since u are flying manually close to the MDA, most of the times on Non Prec Appr's- so the plane will not level off:-))- if u use PROF mode, u have to select the MDA, if u are using FPA or V/S u dont!! (just select the GA ALT prior)- the MD-11 will descent in V/S, FPA mode without selecting a lower ALT first- very important to know!!This applies to my company, dont know if there are options to select...although i think, that these basics are the same...for the PMDG sim ((sometimes it does it, somtimes it doesnt), i dont know, who decided which design is going to be used...)