Sign in to follow this  
Guest RedOak

FSX Scenery Hierarchy & TileProxy priority

Guest RedOak

Greets everyone, I've just joined the forum here and am a beginner at FSX (was flying FS9 before) and Tileproxy. Love the program, although it is a bit of a headache to suck all the juice out of that program!These questions might be a bit hard to spell out, so bare with me! First, TileProxy's FSX's scenery list. TileProxy creates a great bunch of Scenery folders (0001, 0002...) and so on (I'm at work, so can't check for the exact names)... is there a way to identify which "tile" is related to which part of the globe? Maybe my vocabulary is not on part with the system (remember, i'm new), but i can't seem to find the information anywhere. Basically, the idea here is to deactivate all the tiles and sceneries i do not use. I like to do small hops from places to place and look at the visual from the cockpit... so i don't need half my system hogging on to unrelated tiles and saving memory for unrelated/unwanted things. I'm not sure if that makes a whole lot of sense to anyone here tho...(?!). Overall, i'm trying to load as little .blg files (scenery? files) as necessary for the experience. so if for example, i want to fly over alaska, i'd like to only activate the scenery tiles related to that specific location to free up memory and load time. Second, Scenery Priorityhow does the TileProxy Scenery relates to other Sceneries out there, in terms of priority in the list? For example, i've just recently downloaded the superb Hawaii 10m scenery from Raimondo Taburet. However, if i take of from an airport like Kaneohe, a "FSX" airport runway is there, but the Tile thats displayed shows the actual photographic runway (and the whole airport) displaced somewhat. So when i'm in the air, i see the FSX runway, and the tileproxy runway one next to the other... which doesn't look that good (obviously). I'm pretty sure that this is related to the scenery priority, but i have no idea how to fix it (?!)... Again, i'm not sure if i'm making that much sense, but this is how i perceive my problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!on a related note, here are my computer stats, just in case it helps: intel Quad 6600 (2.4)4gig ramATI HD 4850 512plenty of HD spaceThanks for your help!

Guest ddrueding

I'll try to answer these, but I could be wrong!1. The scenery folders are not distributed geographically, some files for Alaska (for example) could exist in any of the folders. Disabling any of them could cause some really weird patches to show up in the scenery. But that doesn't matter, because:2. Used resources: TP only downloads the tiles for the area you are in, and only keeps in memory the ones you are currently over. Changing settings (other than LOD or radius) won't really affect the resource requirement for TP.3. Other scenery: The 10m Hawaii you referred to is a mesh, not a texture, and is compatible with TP without modification. I use it, too.3. Airport alignment: This is a flaw in FSX, their airport is not where the airport actually is. TP shows where it actually is, and therefore you see two. I know there is an effort somewhere on the web to modify the airport files in FSX to be closer to reality, but as you can imagine, this is a massive task.Hope that helps!

Guest RedOak

Thanks mate, it does help to understand the whole thing a bit more. I've been playing with tileproxy yesterday... and something wierd happened... i decided to push the settings "up" in FSX and now run the game in 1920x and the framerate didn't budge... really wierd. But i'm not complaining ;) Also, flying over the same area a couple of times makes the loadings a lot faster which makes the whole thing look better. More experimenting to do i suppose ;)

I'll try to answer these, but I could be wrong!1. The scenery folders are not distributed geographically, some files for Alaska (for example) could exist in any of the folders. Disabling any of them could cause some really weird patches to show up in the scenery. But that doesn't matter, because:2. Used resources: TP only downloads the tiles for the area you are in, and only keeps in memory the ones you are currently over. Changing settings (other than LOD or radius) won't really affect the resource requirement for TP.3. Other scenery: The 10m Hawaii you referred to is a mesh, not a texture, and is compatible with TP without modification. I use it, too.3. Airport alignment: This is a flaw in FSX, their airport is not where the airport actually is. TP shows where it actually is, and therefore you see two. I know there is an effort somewhere on the web to modify the airport files in FSX to be closer to reality, but as you can imagine, this is a massive task.Hope that helps!

Guest ddrueding
Thanks mate, it does help to understand the whole thing a bit more. I've been playing with tileproxy yesterday... and something wierd happened... i decided to push the settings "up" in FSX and now run the game in 1920x and the framerate didn't budge... really wierd. But i'm not complaining ;) Also, flying over the same area a couple of times makes the loadings a lot faster which makes the whole thing look better. More experimenting to do i suppose ;)
After you have flown over an area and downloaded the files, they are cached on your hard drive and don't need to be downloaded again. Downloading can be the slowest part if you have a powerful processor.I run mine at 1920x1080x32@30fps, and the only thing that kills it is buildings and other 3d scenery. Nothing else seems to make a significant difference. Also keep in mind that FSX doesn't utilize high-end graphics cards much if at all. I went from an 8800GTS to a 9800GTS to a 295GTX without any performance change at all. Going from a C2Q Q6600 to a C2Q 9550 to an i7@3.8Ghz did make quite a difference though. ;)