Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest DigiFlight

Need help with Climb Gradient Restriction

Somebody please help me out with the following situation:Airport Climb Gradient Restriction: 5.8% to 2000', then 3.3%Aircraft: 747-400V2 reads 164 on PERF page, so I enter it on the Speed Selector Window.Assuming the speed will maintain V2 + 10 until acceleration phase, my gradient is supposed to be around 1000 fpm.However I can't have the aircraft climb within this gradient, unless I do not activate VNAV (VNAV always ""overshoots" it).Even so, I never know when the gradient is applicable. Should I apply this gradient as soon as airborn or should I wait until the acceleration phase?Can FMC handle with that?Thanks a lot.Silvestre

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Somebody please help me out with the following situation:Airport Climb Gradient Restriction: 5.8% to 2000', then 3.3%Aircraft: 747-400V2 reads 164 on PERF page, so I enter it on the Speed Selector Window.Assuming the speed will maintain V2 + 10 until acceleration phase, my gradient is supposed to be around 1000 fpm.However I can't have the aircraft climb within this gradient, unless I do not activate VNAV (VNAV always ""overshoots" it).Even so, I never know when the gradient is applicable. Should I apply this gradient as soon as airborn or should I wait until the acceleration phase?Can FMC handle with that?Thanks a lot.Silvestre
This would be minimum climb gradient, it is OK to climb faster than that.The departure procedure probably has altitude requirements that match this rate of climb, eg "2000A" or something similar. The FMS will say "Unable next alt" if the aircraft cannot climb fast enough.Tom

This would be minimum climb gradient, it is OK to climb faster than that.The departure procedure probably has altitude requirements that match this rate of climb, eg "2000A" or something similar. The FMS will say "Unable next alt" if the aircraft cannot climb fast enough.Tom
Yeah, sometimes you get stuck with one thought and forget to look around. These times you need a boost. Now that you mentioned, it all seems so clear. Thanks for helping.Silvestre