Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Missing airport in FS database??

Actually the airport itself isn't missing, but I couldn't find it in the list of "go to....." airports.I decided to take an early morning flight today before starting my workday. I happen to have a VFR sectional for Washington State and looked over the possible departing airports I could use. I choose the Columbia Gorge Regional/The Dalles (DLS) right on the river east of Portland Internat'l. I figured I'd lift off from DLS, fly along the river to Portland Internat'l.... a nice VFR flight.I fired up FS2K2 and looked through the airport listings for Columbia Gorge. It wasn't listed under "Columbia" or "Dalles" or "The" nor even under DLS or KDLS. I thought that was rather strange as it looked to be quite a large airport. Instead I chose Goldendale, a small airfield with only one runway that WAS in the airport listing. I lifted off from Goldendale, flew southwest for a few minutes toward the river. I saw lights of a relatively good sized town ahead and lo and behold -- there was DLS!!!! I opened up my GPS and sure enough, the airport was there, listed as "KDLS". So why couldn't I find it in the list of airports? Anyone have an idea? Not exactly an earth-shattering problem, true, but puzzling nonetheless.-Lindy :-rotor:-wave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Lindy,Maybe you have unintentionally had a selection in place in the drop down menus where you can search for airports.I have tried to recreate your problem but sure enough typing in KDLS brought up the airport for me.Here is the data I got when I searched for the airport in FS2K2:Airport Name: Columbia Gorge Rgl/The DalleID: KDLSCity: The DallesState / Prov.: OregonCountry / Region: United StatesGlobal: North AmericaHappy flyingRalph HummelStaff ReviewerAVSIM Online

Download and install afcad140.zip or scanbglsV2.zip. Run the program and search for corrupted *.bgl files.

Okay, I ran the scanBGL program. It popped up about four files it identified as corrupted. All but one of them were located in the NWT Cplane download. The other was up in the Yukon someplace. I went through my ReadMes for the downloads trying to identify anything close to Columbia Gorge but didn't find a thing that looked suspicious.I tried finding it in the airport listing again, but it still isn't showing up. Strange that others programs list it right where it's supposed to be. :-hmmm Guess I'll just have to fly there and save a flight from that location until I solve the mystery, if I ever do.-Lindy :-wave

Did you try removing the corrupted files temporarily by deselecting the scenery associated with these files, then moving them from their fs2002 location. If not, give it a try and see if your problem is fixed.It seems that corrupted files can have erroneous effects on the selection menus even though the scenery is not part of the area you are finding the problem. One reason Lee Swordy developed his bgl scanner was because of entire continent's of airports would come up missing from the menu selector.