Greetings all.I just recently upgraded my FSX box (to the system in my sig) and am just waiting for my copy of Vista64 to get here. While waiting for my OS to get here, I've found myself browsing throttle quadrants and am considering purchasing one (or more) for mostly GA twin-engine aircraft (I spend lots of time in the Aerosoft Twotter). I'm using a CH flight yoke and pedals and also have a Saitek X36 that I've been using mainly for the throttle and a few button assignments. After doing some 'virtual' window shopping, I can't decide between the 6 lever CH quadrant or two of the Saitek 3 lever quadrants. On Amazon, I can get the two Saitek's for less than the price of the one CH, but the difference is only around $20 or so, so the price difference alone isn't enough for me to decide between them.In general, are there any advantages (features/reliability/durabilty) to using either unit over the other? I'm considering this purchase for sometime early next week, and am curious about any pros or cons that users of either (or both) quadrants may have to share before making a purchase.Thanks for any info. :)-George

Guest Se7en

I cant comment about the CH Throttle quad apart from noticing the throw of the levers is quite small, but being an owner of the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke that comes with a throttle Quad and also a second Saitek Throttle Quad I'm very pleased with them, the lever throw and size is more like the the GA aircraft I've seen in real life compared to the CH, the detents are positive and the desk mounting is good in that it gives you choices of how to use the mount, each Quad comes with 3 rocker switchs. You also get plenty of extra lever handles you can swap depending on what throttle/propeller/mixture combination you want.In actual use the throttle control is quite precise, though I use their X52pro throttle and stick for helicopter and fast fighter jet usage.No problems with mine with regular use in the past 9 or so months I've owned them.I'm sure both would be fine, but thats my experience of the Saitek units.

I cant comment about the CH Throttle quad apart from noticing the throw of the levers is quite small, but being an owner of the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke that comes with a throttle Quad and also a second Saitek Throttle Quad I'm very pleased with them, the lever throw and size is more like the the GA aircraft I've seen in real life compared to the CH, the detents are positive and the desk mounting is good in that it gives you choices of how to use the mount, each Quad comes with 3 rocker switchs. You also get plenty of extra lever handles you can swap depending on what throttle/propeller/mixture combination you want.In actual use the throttle control is quite precise, though I use their X52pro throttle and stick for helicopter and fast fighter jet usage.No problems with mine with regular use in the past 9 or so months I've owned them.I'm sure both would be fine, but thats my experience of the Saitek units.
Yeah, I've also noticed the throw of the levers on the CH unit does look to appear very small, which is a bit of a concern to me. I have a CH yoke and pedals, and the throw on the throttle on the yoke seems too small to me, so I typically use the throttle on my 'well-aged' Saitek X36. Naturally, the throttle on the X36 isn't the type of throttle that most of the aircraft I fly would use, and there's no way to try and set that up for twin-engine aircraft lol.I'm happy to hear how precise the Saitek unit seems to you. I've read a few negative things about some folks experiencing 'phantom keystrokes' and/or spiking on one or more of the quadrant's axis'. Have you experienced anything like that, or are those issues more likely to be related to improper configuration and/or installation?Thanks for taking the time to respond. -George

Guest Se7en

No problems with spiking though it can happen to any pot I guess? I used to get this with the very early Thrustmaster sticks, but having owned lots of controllers since, including more recent Thrustmaster stuff, 2 CH Yokes, and now a full suite of Saitek gear, no issues with spiking ever.The phantom key presses were cured by firmware to units on sale now a good while back according to reports on the Saitek user forums, again have not experienced this. I'm quite religious about setting up my controllers though and find the best way is to go into controller settings in FSX (have not used FS9 for a while but its much the same) and delete everything, shut down the Sim and open again, check the controller settings again and invariably I'll find a standard assignment has been restored? so delete it once more, close down and check again, then when I'm sure all stock key assignments have been deleted for good I'll add my own.Hope you have as much fun with whatever you choose as I've had with mine.

Thanks again for all the info. I'm definitely leaning heavily towards the Saitek quadrants over the CH, and am *very* glad to hear that the phantom keystrokes were addressed with a firmware a while back (this was my biggest concern with the Saitek). I got permission from the wife to make the purchase of either unit, I just have to wait until our next paychecks are in on Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to having a nice throttle arrangement for GA flying and the Saitek looked better to me because of the amount of throw in the levers, as well as the buttons that apparently are triggered by the levers from going below the lowermost detent (I haven't found anything to indicate that the CH has a similar feature.)Thanks again, I appreciate the help. :)-George