Sign in to follow this  
Guest steekyrice20

fuel freezing in md11

Guest steekyrice20

guys,i have the pmdg md11. I just installed REX. Temperatures last night dipped below -66C and my fuel line got frozen. I put in type 4 and my fuel line is getting near a frozen point as well. Is there a way to prevent this? Please help. thanks0e419697.jpg

Just noticed looking at your pic, you have your engine,airframe and windshield anti-ice all on, none are required as you are not in icing conditions. It is virtually impossible to have airframe icing below -40C SAT (static air temp). You realize fuel freezing conditions and airframe icing conditions are completely different and that use of engine inlet and airframe anti-ice has no effect on fuel temperature? [Just realized you probably left them on from your climb through icing conditions, but worth pointing out anyway for people new to this]cheersJon

TAT-54!!!Where were you flying, and what was the SAT?Jon,The controlling factor for icing is TAT, not SAT. Also, it's recommended that anti-ice NOT be used below -40TAT. It's not that you can't get icing any at all, but rather that at such low temps, moisture is in the presence of relatively harmless ice crystals that do not adhere to the aircraft. In these extreme conditions, using anti ice could actually heat the surfaces to the point where the crystals DO adhere to the aircraft. At that point, you've created a real problem for yourself. Anti ice should only be used in visible moisture when -40<TAT<+10.Paul

TAT-54!!!Where were you flying, and what was the SAT?Jon,The controlling factor for icing is TAT, not SAT. Also, it's recommended that anti-ice NOT be used below -40TAT. It's not that you can't get icing any at all, but rather that at such low temps, moisture is in the presence of relatively harmless ice crystals that do not adhere to the aircraft. In these extreme conditions, using anti ice could actually heat the surfaces to the point where the crystals DO adhere to the aircraft. At that point, you've created a real problem for yourself. Anti ice should only be used in visible moisture when -40<TAT<+10.Paul
you're right, I actually meant to say engine icing, TAT is still generally the yardstick however I was reading a pprune thread which mentions that the 737-200-400 FCOM states that engine anti-ice at cruise is not required with SAT below -40C, so it appears SAT is used as a marker in climb/cruise at least with that particular type. [edit: it turns out SAT<-40C is also used in the A320 and A330 manuals]eg. for a330:'Nacelle Anti-Ice must be ON during all ground/flight ops when icing conditions exist or are anticipated (OAT/TAT is +10