Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest mikeyt

Formatting a Velociraptor

Hi thereWell I've bought all my kit for the new PC and built it last night. Decided to go for the more future-proof i7 even though I run FS9... But I do have the 920 (2.66Ghz) clocked at 3.6Ghz!! :( My main drive is a WD Caviar Black 640Gb /32Mb cache drive, which I have installed Vista x64 onto. I did not choose any formatting options during install so presume it's just used the default for that. My "flight sim drive" is a WD Velociraptor 300Gb, which I as yet have done nothing with.My question is this, when I came to format it just now, it struck me that somewhere round here I have read it should be formatted with 64k clusters, rather than the default 4... Is that true/correct? Or is it my imagination? I did try to look through Nicks install guide but right now can't find mention of it.Can someone please give me a brief yes/no as I obviously want to get this drive prepped now and get Flight sim on it !!!Many thanks,Mike..

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi thereWell I've bought all my kit for the new PC and built it last night. Decided to go for the more future-proof i7 even though I run FS9... But I do have the 920 (2.66Ghz) clocked at 3.6Ghz!! :( My main drive is a WD Caviar Black 640Gb /32Mb cache drive, which I have installed Vista x64 onto. I did not choose any formatting options during install so presume it's just used the default for that. My "flight sim drive" is a WD Velociraptor 300Gb, which I as yet have done nothing with.My question is this, when I came to format it just now, it struck me that somewhere round here I have read it should be formatted with 64k clusters, rather than the default 4... Is that true/correct? Or is it my imagination? I did try to look through Nicks install guide but right now can't find mention of it.Can someone please give me a brief yes/no as I obviously want to get this drive prepped now and get Flight sim on it !!!Many thanks,Mike..
That's how I did it. Formatted my FSX Vrap with 64K clusters. I am 98% sure that's what Nick recommends.Edit: Ok, 100% sure now, found some posts. http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...hl=64K+clusters