Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikeyt

Formatting a Velociraptor

Guest mikeyt

Hi thereWell I've bought all my kit for the new PC and built it last night. Decided to go for the more future-proof i7 even though I run FS9... But I do have the 920 (2.66Ghz) clocked at 3.6Ghz!! :( My main drive is a WD Caviar Black 640Gb /32Mb cache drive, which I have installed Vista x64 onto. I did not choose any formatting options during install so presume it's just used the default for that. My "flight sim drive" is a WD Velociraptor 300Gb, which I as yet have done nothing with.My question is this, when I came to format it just now, it struck me that somewhere round here I have read it should be formatted with 64k clusters, rather than the default 4... Is that true/correct? Or is it my imagination? I did try to look through Nicks install guide but right now can't find mention of it.Can someone please give me a brief yes/no as I obviously want to get this drive prepped now and get Flight sim on it !!!Many thanks,Mike..

Hi thereWell I've bought all my kit for the new PC and built it last night. Decided to go for the more future-proof i7 even though I run FS9... But I do have the 920 (2.66Ghz) clocked at 3.6Ghz!! :( My main drive is a WD Caviar Black 640Gb /32Mb cache drive, which I have installed Vista x64 onto. I did not choose any formatting options during install so presume it's just used the default for that. My "flight sim drive" is a WD Velociraptor 300Gb, which I as yet have done nothing with.My question is this, when I came to format it just now, it struck me that somewhere round here I have read it should be formatted with 64k clusters, rather than the default 4... Is that true/correct? Or is it my imagination? I did try to look through Nicks install guide but right now can't find mention of it.Can someone please give me a brief yes/no as I obviously want to get this drive prepped now and get Flight sim on it !!!Many thanks,Mike..
That's how I did it. Formatted my FSX Vrap with 64K clusters. I am 98% sure that's what Nick recommends.Edit: Ok, 100% sure now, found some posts. http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...hl=64K+clusters

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4gHz for FSX w/Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe OC Palm Memory: 6GB (3x2gb) OCZ3P1600LV6GK Case: CM690 PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W OS: Vista64 SP1 Main HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Black SATA FSX Drive: 300GB WD Velociraptor

GPU: EVGA GTX285 Vanilla