Sign in to follow this  
brucek

More on our simming hobby- and a revisit to "ATP".

There's another interesting thread here: http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=107179&page= that refers to simming. In that case, it's that instantaneous jump to flying on auto-pilot that simming offers, rather than the many hours of manual flying we have to do in real flight training.My "phobia" has always been in picking a route to fly something like the B734. We have virtual airlines that dispatch flights- but these often (in emulating real world airline pilot schedules) result in flying to and from the same hub airport. Worse- there's always a return "inbound" flight that's just a mirror of the outbound flight from the hub. And- if we knew real airline pilots' schedules, I'm sure that same would apply. We can make up flights, and jump around from being based in SFO to being based at LGA, but for me this always lacks some measure of reality :)Last night, I picked up a very old manual for "Flight Assignment ATP". Here you had 96 flights between the 26 "primary airports" (all in the US), with pre-programmed weather, a pre-defined aircraft for each assignment (with the auto-pilot rendered inactive). Each flight was measured to ensure that one didn't peg the CDI (or G/S) in flight (or on ILS), that a go-around was announced at the point where minimums were exceeded on approach, that the go-around was initiated within 1 minute of announcing it, and lots of other parameters. A score was issued at the end of the assignment, and you couldn't proceed to the next assignment until you'd obtained a passing score in a prior assignment.Just the routes will be cool to fly- many are short routes between adjacent "primaries". I'm going to re-fly them in FS, just for the heck of it. The ATP manual has ILS IAP's and airport diagrams for all 26 primaries (although KDEN is "Stapleton"- that gives you some idea of how long ago this was :) ). Wouldn't it be cool to have some pre-programmed wx scenarios in FS along similar pre-determined routes? I don't know if some smart adventure programmer could write code to test the score for each assignment, or not. I saved an Active Sky file a few days ago in the midst of some severe wx in the lower mid-west, that should make some landings a challenge!ATP was years before it's time. If those "DOS" visuals didn't look so goofy, I'd run through the assignments again. :)Bruce.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Something that I really liked about ATP was that there was a generator that you could pick a segment length, and you would get a random leg that used approprate airports for the aircraft that you chose. Not that choosing an origin and destination is so bad...Tim

Hi Tim,Yes- ATP was really something. One day someone will make it into an FS add-on, and it will take off (pun!) again.I think that Simon (of ATP fame) made a series of Airliner sims using some of the code, and Sierra used other parts for it's ProPilot. I think Simon is still in the DOS age :), and Pro-Pilot is sold yet again, I believe. And- of course- both ATP and FS2k2 have common roots in FS4.Bruce.