Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flaps30

Scenery Layers and Adjusting Scenery?

Hi guys,I am still getting FSX set up the way I want it to be after using FS9 for several years. I just upgraded my default scenery with FSGenesis complete US mesh and Landclass, as well as Flight1 Ultimate Terrain and Ground Environment. I instantly saw a great improvement over the default scenery, but realistically buildings are all over the place and definitely not in the right places for my home area. For example, the steets in my housing development near Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania are in the right place, but are completely barren of any houses. Underneath these streets are diagonally placed roads with buildings that do not exist. I have included picturess below of my FSX view and a real view I took flying over my area. Is this a layering problem or something that can be fixed easily to make it more realistic? I have seen some FSX shots by simmers over the past few years that were stunningly real to say the least, with buildings accurately placed right down to the smallest roads. Unfortunately, I am not that familiar with the inside workings of FS enough for advanced adjustments, but if there are any tutorials out there or walkthroughs I am sure willing to learn in order to improve my home area. I went into my scenery library and found the scenery areas for the UTX and GEX, but I couldn't recognize any files for FSGenesis Landclass. I posted on the FSG site and Justin said a new scenery folder has to be imported into the library in order to create layers to correctly layer FSG Landclass. I am not even sure this has any thing to do with my inaccurate building placement. Any advice will sure be appreciated. Thanks. TomBelow is a real shot of my housing development and my FSX overhead view.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

What you see is a limitation of FSX (and FS9 incidentally). The houses and roads you see are part of a landclass tile. Landclass tiles measure about 1km square and are generic tiles (ie they get reused a lot). There are landclass tiles for forest, fields, suburbs, cities etc. To avoid repitition there are variations of each landclass type. The road and house locations depicted are part of the tile itself and can only be changed by actually changing the graphic tile.The roads you see are called vector roads. These are laid over the top of the landclass tiles. They are called vector roads because they are defined by a series of points. FSX reads these points from the scenery file and generates a road over the top of the landclass tiles. As you can see in your screenshot there is no real relationship between the landclass tiles and the vector roads and FSX will happily draw vector roads right through the middle of buildings. I found in FS9 that this was less noticeable as the landclass tiles were so low res that the landclass tiles had a certain blurriness to them which made the vector roads blend better with the landclass tiles. In FSX the landclass tiles are a much higher resolution and so appear in more detail. When the vector roads get laid over the top any discrepancies (such as vector roads going over the top of a house) become more obvious. It becomes particularly obvious when a grid pattern of vector roads is laid over the top of a landclass tile that uses a grid urban texture. If the grid pattern of the vector roads is laid out at a different angle to the landclass tile (which are usually north/south/east/west) then the effect can be very jarring.If you want a more accurate representation of your hometown then the only real solution is photoreal scenery. Photoreal scenery replaces the landclass tiles and vector roads with actual photos of the terrain. The advantage is that it gives the most accurate possible representation of the ground. The disadvantage is that photoreal scenery for your town may not be available (try megasceneryearth.com though, they are trying to cover the whole of the USA with photoreal scenery). Of course, you can always make your own photoreal scenery. All you need is a copy of Google Earth, SBuilderX, the FSX SDK, a damn good graphics program and lots of spare time.

Thanks for the help guys. I remember seeing an add for Megascenery Earth. I am not even sure how to begin designing my own scenery although I am willing to learn. Are these programs you mentioned easy to learn for the average user? If so, I might try experimenting. Otherwise, I guess I'll just wait for MEgascenery to hit PA. In the meantime, I'll see what that new Flight1 program is all about. Thanks again. Tom