Sign in to follow this  
FlyinMisfit

for Nick N. Re... FSX crashing thread

Nick, please check out the following link below and let me know what you think. the "zombie with fans" statement describes my system to a tea on 3 diffeternt occasions (2 this wk.) in the last 2-3 wks. after the initial boot failure, on all 3 occasions, when i turned off the sytem via the pwr. switch on the PSU then waited a few seconds to several minutes then turned the pwr. switch on the PSU back on then hit the Pwr. button on the PC again the system booted up. however, on 1 of those 3 occasions less than 1/2 a minute after the system booted up the PC restarted itself. before i forget, on all 3 occasions during the "zombie state" both of the exhaust fans, the fan on the back of the PSU, and the front case fans were running. the bottom exhaust fan is not connected directly to the PSU like the other 4 fans are. it's connected to the Chassis Fan1 connector on the Mobo. based on that, when the Pwr switch on the PC is pressed part(s) of the Mobo. is getting power at least. i don't know if the ASUS P5E3 Deluxe WIFi Mobo. that i have has the capability to emit a BIOS beep code that indicates a missing or faulty CPU. perhaps you do. thanks for checking this out and any suggestions you may have about this. after reading the article i started thinking that the PSU "might not" be the prob. after all.http://duartes.org/gustavo/blog/post/how-computers-boot-up

Guest Nick_N

If I had anything to say I would have posted it in the other threadYou are complaining about a system that out of no-where while posing in forums or flying it reboots with no blue screenThat has NOTHING to do with a cold startup problemYou said you were replacing the PSU.. and I can go with that. If after the PSU is replaced and you are NOT CLOCKING you are still having the same 'out of nowhere' system reboots then you ain't dealin with a PSU and can go from therewhat you are describing to a T sounds like LACK OF POWER to CPU or memory IN A CLOCK.. same symptoms

If I had anything to say I would have posted it in the other threadi didn't know you had seen the post in the original thread. since there was no reply, ie... hopefully, that fixes ur prob. i assumed that you didn't. my bad You are complaining about a system that out of no-where while posing in forums or flying it reboots with no blue screeni'm "not" complaining. just giving you info. about what's happening with the system.That has NOTHING to do with a cold startup problemi don't understand. if at times for whatever reason the PSU is not getting power to the mobo. when the PC pwr. button is pressed (talking cold start here) then no wake up signal so to speak will be sent to the CPU from the mobo. which would point to the PSU right? when the system is up and running (playing FS, web surfing, etc...) wouldn't the slightest interruption in power to the Mobo., CPU, or Mem. be enough to cause an out of nowhere reboot or cause the program running at the time (especially FSX) to crash? if so that points to the PSU as well doesn't it (or am i missing something here)? if not, hence the reason i thought there was a correlation between the OON reboots and the cold start-ups, and decided to replace the PSU first. until the following crossed my mine and i started having 2nd thoughts about replacing the PSU 1st...when the power button is pressed, if mobo. and everything is getting power from the PSU and the CPU doesn't respond to the mobo's wakeup signal would that not point to the CPU instead of the PSU as the prob? also, i was just letting you know that the cold start-up probs. was occurring along with the FSX crashes and the out of nowhere reboots without the blue screens. the 1st cold start happened about 3 wks ago. and 2 of them occurred this week. also, (just for clarification) i was getting the FSX crashes and the out of nowhere reboots b4 the 1st cold start-up prob.You said you were replacing the PSU.. and I can go with that. If after the PSU is replaced and you are NOT CLOCKING you are still having the same 'out of nowhere' system reboots then you ain't dealin with a PSU and can go from there i did. no prob. with that. figured the last sentence was a no-brainerwhat you are describing to a T sounds like LACK OF POWER to CPU or memory IN A CLOCK.. same symptoms
Agreed. but i got the impression that throughout most if not all of the original thread that you was seeing the PSU as an "outside chance" of being the prob. (posts #15 & #17 in particular in the original thread). don't get me wrong. i do appreciate your help with this.fyi, in reference to replacing the PSU, after doing some thinking i decided to get an i-7 setup. i thought the PMDG747 might benefit from the extra OVERHEAD that you said the i-7's offered in the original thread. i'll have to take the current mobo. out to replace the PSU anyway. i'm hoping that the upgrade will fix the prob. and put an end to the troubleshooting if the new PSU doesn't fix the prob. i know that you suggested that i should replace the 4870 with an i-7 setup for performance reasons and i agrree with you on that. but i'm going to hang on to the 4870 til Windows7 is released. then, i'll use the formatting of the HD to get rid of the ATI drivers for a clean install of Windows7. below are the i-7 components that i ordered from NewEgg - your comments are welcomed. 965 Extreme Proc. (small price drop w/free shipping since last time i checked the pricing a few mos. back)AsusP6T (rev.2) Mobo6GB PC1600 Triple Channel Mushkin Red Line Mem. (3 x 2GB sticks) "CAS 6" @ 1.65v (little skeptical about that) hoping for 7-7-7-20 at least @ 1.65v if memory serves me correctly, (having read some of your posts in other threads) the Triple Channel Mem. used with the i-7 systems are rather sensitive to voltages >1.65vwhat do you think the Mods. would prefer? continuing on in this thread or continue in the original thread?again, thanks for your help. happy flyin, FM