Sign in to follow this  
Alan_A

Simflight 3d Cessna 172 - anyone tried it?

OK, I'll bite - anyone tried the new Simflight 3d Cessna 172, the 1958 straight-tail model? Any reactions?I'm not sure I'm in a big hurry to add another 172 so soon after Carenado's, but I'm a sucker for atmosphere. Am also focusing on airplanes I might be able to afford in real life, which is a pretty limited set...This one looks good, but apart from that - how does it sound? And how does it fly?Alan

Well, here's one positive vote on Flightsim.com. Not too informative, though.Alan

Well, here's one positive vote on Flightsim.com. Not too informative, though.Alan
Update: the Flightsim.com thread has a couple more posts, including some pretty impressive screenshots. Would still love to get a handle on flight dynamics, sounds, atmosphere. Have posted that question there and will raise it here, too...

OK, against my better judgment (given the silence here), I went and picked it up. Unfortunately I'm not convinced. Just posted the following in the Flightsim.com thread...________________________________________________Well, I picked it up, but I have to say I'm not sure about this one. Very nice external model, no question. But on the other hand, default gauges, default sound, and it flies a lot like the default Cessna. The airfile seems to have the same file creation date as the airfile for the default Cessna. I sure hope I'm wrong and that some work has been done to customize the flight model. Otherwise, $22.95 would buy just a graphic overlay on the default a/c, and that doesn't seem right.Whatever its origins, the flight model doesn't seem to have the same sense of mass or inertia as the Carenado - which, for a few dollars more, also includes custom gauges, custom sound and rich atmosphere. So I'm disappointed, but I'd be happy to be convinced I've missed something.________________________________________________I really mean what I said in closing - clearly the a/c means something to the developer, and I don't want to trash it for the sake of trashing it. If I got something wrong I'll be the first to say so. But given the competition, I can't say right now that this is up there with the best in payware value.I think it's time to head over to established haunts and maybe pick up the Arrow and the Duke...Alan