Sign in to follow this  
Anthony25368

Frustrated with fs9

I am a long time user of fs9 and am currently on a new machine. I have a quad core amd 64 computer. I just want to achieve 20 fps if possible. I seem to only get 8-10 not sure why? I have read about closing processes and things running in the background but I'm still a little new about what I can close and what I can't. Any help on this subject would be great. I know its been covered all over the forums, but I just want a few tips if possible. I see some ovf the frames others are getting with similar setups as mine and it makes me sick. I just want to know what I'm doing wrong. I also get alot of blurry textures. My old computer that was 5 yrs old actually ran almost as good as this new one.Thank you in advance,anthony

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

Guest Zevious Zoquis
I am a long time user of fs9 and am currently on a new machine. I have a quad core amd 64 computer. I just want to achieve 20 fps if possible. I seem to only get 8-10 not sure why? I have read about closing processes and things running in the background but I'm still a little new about what I can close and what I can't. Any help on this subject would be great. I know its been covered all over the forums, but I just want a few tips if possible. I see some ovf the frames others are getting with similar setups as mine and it makes me sick. I just want to know what I'm doing wrong. I also get alot of blurry textures. My old computer that was 5 yrs old actually ran almost as good as this new one.Thank you in advance,anthony
Its difficult to offer much assistance for this becuase I don't know how you have your system configured or what the problem may be. Do you know what you have for a video card in there? The processor is important, but if you have a weak gpu you'll have issues. Can you offer more info in the way of system specs?

What kind of video card do you have?How much system ram do you have?Do you have many freeware addons and if so, how do you prioritize your libraries?How many duplicated textures, libraries, and AFCADs do you have?When was the last time you defragged you hard drive?Do you have the Windows swap file on the same hard drive as FS9?How many un-needed services and programs are running in the background? (IntelliPoint, IntelliType etc

One more thing that really helps system wise. I have a dedicated hard drive for FS9. The Windows swap file is on a different hard drive then the FS9 install AND it matches the amount of system memory I have. In other words, it's doesn't grow or shrink, it's a constant size.Mark

Geeze, there are so many settings and things to try in FS9 that I keep forgetting them all! Another thing, (which I manually manage), is the Scenery.cfg file. I make sure that addons, (weather freeware or payware), are prioritized and enabled in an optimum order.For instance, I own FSGlobal, MegaScenery Southern California, Cloud9 KLAX, and FlyTampa KSAN. Since FSGlobal is my mesh it appears first in my Scenery.cfg file, (last in the FS9 Scenery Library list). That means it's the first layer. I then make sure that MegaScenery Southern California is layered on top of FSGlobal and finally, Cloud9 KLAX and FlyTampa KSAN are layed on top of MegaScenery Southern California. I make sure that this is the case with all of my addons. If I install something new in Southern California, I will layered it on top of MegaScenery Southern California in my scenery config file. Take a look below...[Area.050]Title=FSGlobalLayer=50[Area.051]Title=MegaScenery Southern CaliforniaLayer=51[Area.052]Title=Cloud9 KLAXLayer=52[Area.053]Title=FlyTampa KSANLayer=53This would translate into the FS9 Scenery Library as...Scenery Area ........ PriorityFlyTampa KSAN ..... 1Cloud9 KLAX ......... 2MegaScenery ........ 3FSGlobal .............. 4Hope that helps some...anyone else want to chime in on this?Mark

Thanks for the replies, I have 3gb memory, nividia 9500gt graphics card with 1gb. I have tried all the tips for setting up my fsconfig. I have noticed that my framerates vary from very low to 25 max. I also noticed in virtual cockpits it is very low. 5-9. I have noticed some people fly their whole flight from virtual cockpits, no way I could. I have been experimenting with AlacrityPC for shutting down non essential processes, I think this might be my main issue. Too many things still running. thanks for the help.

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

Thanks for the replies, I have 3gb memory, nividia 9500gt graphics card with 1gb. I have tried all the tips for setting up my fsconfig. I have noticed that my framerates vary from very low to 25 max. I also noticed in virtual cockpits it is very low. 5-9. I have noticed some people fly their whole flight from virtual cockpits, no way I could. I have been experimenting with AlacrityPC for shutting down non essential processes, I think this might be my main issue. Too many things still running. thanks for the help.
You got big problems. Most likely in the video area of your system. I advise to go back to square one and uninstall all video drivers and re-install with latest drivers. After that, you may even want to dig deeper and find an older driver that is better. Some report better FPS and visuals with older drivers. Do the research.Then you need to learn to setup your video card settings. Learn each parameter and what that does and how to turn it off. Turning off visuals is the best troubleshooting method out there. Along with backing the Fs sliders to the left and lowering AI down into the teens to start with AI is the last setting to increase.Better re-check MB drivers as well. Something is not setup correctly in your system. Start first with windows drivers, (not system processes) then how FS9 visuals are setup. As far as services to shut down, there is nothing that would be causing that much performance loss UNLESS you bought a computer with bloatware on it. No,,,,, processes are NOT your main issue. Its the last tweak for making Fs run properly, not the first.I get more FPS than that on my single core 3200 speed 2GB ram system that runs 4 monitors. Sorry, but you have setup issues. That system will run Fs up in the 50's. Should be no lower than 20's.Swap files do not account for FPS losses as you describe. Fix your Fs9.cfg file by cutting it from its location and letting Fs remake it. The stock Fs9 cfg is NOT the holdup. All these tweaks and suggestions MIGHT raise your FPS 10 on average. That is provided you computer system is setup correctly with no bloatware. Things just dont start out sideways unless there is a major problem.And one last thing, Dont expect anyone here to say the "magic bullet" and tell you to check one check box and your system is fixed. That doesn't happen. There are too many parameters to list. You need to learn how to setup windows drivers and their parameters and be confident in what you have done so you can eliminate that as a cause. We dont know how your system is setup. You do. or you should.Good luck.

This is for Mark where do you change the LOD from 9-10 I can't find it in my fsconfig. Another thing I noticed the graphics card listed in my fsconfig doesn't match what I have installed. I have a navidia card and it is listing an Ati card. Not sure but maybe it is picking up my onboard video instead of the nividia one? thanks

Anthony

This is for Mark where do you change the LOD from 9-10 I can't find it in my fsconfig. Another thing I noticed the graphics card listed in my fsconfig doesn't match what I have installed. I have a navidia card and it is listing an Ati card. Not sure but maybe it is picking up my onboard video instead of the nividia one? thanks
LOL< there you go. Now you're getting to the meat of it... stop screwing with the tweaks and fix your system.

Guest belga1

Hello,First .. reboot PC and go check in the BIO if the onboard graphic card is disabled .. if not make the change required .. save and continue the boot.Be sure you have Nvidia drivers installed and former ATI drivers uninstalled for avoid any undesirable conflicts....Secondly .. erase your FS9.cfg (eventually save it fisrt for backup any tweaks you maked) and start FS9FS9 will make a new FS9.CFG and so your graphic card will be recognized by FS9Sure 90 % of your probs will be history ....Regards.bye.gif

Thank you everyone for the help. I will try all of your suggestions and get back to you with the results. I really want to say thank you.

Anthony

Just to let everyone know. I figured out the problem as far as framerates. I had an onboard video card running at the same time as my nividia. I shut it off in the BIOS setup, my rates jumped directly to 30 solid regardless of what is running. THanks for the help everyone.

Anthony

Guest Maxihard
Just to let everyone know. I figured out the problem as far as framerates. I had an onboard video card running at the same time as my nividia. I shut it off in the BIOS setup, my rates jumped directly to 30 solid regardless of what is running. THanks for the help everyone.
Bravo!