Sign in to follow this  

What's the best C172 available...payware or freeware?.....

Guest abent

I would like recommendations from yous guys :-hah . I don't care about VC's but like the following:1) really good highly functional panel and sharp interior views.2) good visibility from main panel - a bit of a view out the side window in main panel view. Also, a panel that is not so high that you have to raise your seat a whole bunch.3) good airfile - a plane that trims out nicely specifically.4) autopilot (not absolutely necessary but preferred)5)GPS - I can live with the default one if a plane doesn't come with one. It works fine.6) decent exterior textures.I've been spying DF's Cardinal and it's tempting but I'm really looking for a 172.Hope I'm not being too demanding!Thanks in advance, Adam

Guest Rockcliffe

The Real Air 172 is the best I've found. Others, however, may disagree.BlairCYOW

Guest abent

Blair, can you give me a link?Thanks, Adam

Guest abent

I found the link.Thanks, Adam

>The Real Air 172 is the best I've found. Others, however, may>disagree.>Blair>CYOWAnd some add in the freeware FS2K Dreamfleet 172 panel with the RealAir. I prefer the VC myself in small aircraft such as the 172. With the DF Cardinal, it's 50/50 VC & 2D.L.Adamson

Guest abent

Actually all I found was a repaint of a 182 at realsimulations. Am I looking in the wrong place? I'll go hunting at DF for the 172 panel you refer to. Thanks Larry(?) :D Adam

Guest racartron

The file is download # 28693 and is called: realair172sp.zipThe beauty of this bird is with all its ehhanced handling it can accept additional liveries from the default 172.Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Guest abent

I can't win for losing! :-roll I used the auto-installer to install the plane and I get a message: "textForm - RealAir C172 successfully installed". The path was correct: C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002.Anyway, the RealAir C172SP folder IS in the aircraft folder but I cannot get it to show in the aircraft menu.Has anyone else experieced this? I've got the spring Flu and maybe it's clouding my ability to function properly. *:-* Thanks, Adam

Have you read the "Read Me" file? If I recall correctly, you have to copy and rename a file from the default C172 as that is the visual model that is used. When in doubt, read the "Read Me". :)Tony

Guest abent

I had read the readme file and saw no reference to changing anything other than realism settings. According to my readme: "Your installation places an entirely seperate C172SP in the RealAir Simulations C172SP folder."Obviously I'm missing something.Thanks Tony, Adam

Guest JustLanded

Actually, I didn't like the RealAir C172 because the plane doesn't remain banked while turning. I have an airfile from somewhere that is usable with the C172 & 182 that when you bank with the joystick and return to neutral the plane stays in that attitude. This is more realistic to me.GW

Guest Rockcliffe

I knew when I recommended the RealAir 172 that there was another option, but I couldn't remember what. I believe the air file you refer to is by Rob Young and can be used with the default cessna. Many people preferred it to the full RealAir model.Never did find it though, so if you have the file name or can provide a link it would be appreciated.ThanksBlair

"I didn't like the RealAir C172 because the plane doesn't remain banked while turning"The C172 and most other high winged aircraft exhibit the "pendulum" affect. It has the same affect as dihedral on low winged aircraft, but I think you'll find it is a gentle movement and very slowly returns to level, unlike some aircraft (notably in CFS2 and 3) which have excessive return to level characteristics. After a 35 degree bank and returning controls to centre, there should be a slow tendency to return. That's what we felt we achieved.Rob Young - RealAir Simulations

If it's in the folder it should show, but it will show in the same section as the default C172; just scroll down from that.Rob Young - RealAir Simulations