Sign in to follow this  
Guest TomWhite

Windows 7 Operating System

Guest TomWhite

I've purchased a Sony Vaio laptop VGN-Fw4 Series PCG-3H1M & I want to install the 747-400 FSX simulator.I've read the Technical Spec details regarding the Vista problems & I contacted Sony about a downgrade to XP. Their Tech Help department indicate that they don't have drivers for XP for this model and that a downgrade to XP is not possible. Any comments?The Sony Vaio purchase offered a free upgrade to Windows 7. The beta version for the new Microsoft Operating System is now available but Sony are again unwilling to assist with drivers until the official launch. Is it likely that the Windows 7 operating system will cure the faults displayed if running in Vista?

I wouldn't expect miracles with FSX on such machine. Windows7 (I uise both @ 64) to me appears to have Vista advantages with performance close to XP.

I've purchased a Sony Vaio laptop VGN-Fw4 Series PCG-3H1M & I want to install the 747-400 FSX simulator.I've read the Technical Spec details regarding the Vista problems & I contacted Sony about a downgrade to XP. Their Tech Help department indicate that they don't have drivers for XP for this model and that a downgrade to XP is not possible. Any comments?The Sony Vaio purchase offered a free upgrade to Windows 7. The beta version for the new Microsoft Operating System is now available but Sony are again unwilling to assist with drivers until the official launch. Is it likely that the Windows 7 operating system will cure the faults displayed if running in Vista?

I gave up on Vista long ago, but I recently switched from Windows XP up to Windows 7 and I got a good improvement in performance in FSX. I'd definitely take the free upgrade, Windows 7 is great, Vista is trash.

Guest ziporama

Given your situation, I would suffer through Vista for a month or so because it is supported, then upgrade to Windows 7 when it's in stores (October 13?). Mileage does vary but I must have been very lucky having had no problems with Vista 64 since SP1 came out, and SP2 is essentially very close to Windows 7 I'm running now, so my sufferance was nil after my video driver issues got sorted out (that happened quite a long time ago now).Drivers are everything. Also, there is no upgrade path from XP to W7, but there is one from Vista to W7 so long as you run the same platform (ie, go from 32 bit to 32 bit, 64 bit to 64 bit), and installing Windows 7 RC now is not a good idea to upgrade to RTM. I'd go with Vista 64 and move to W7 when available. What you learn on Vista is applicable on W7 because as far as I'm concerned, the UI is virtually identical except for a few improvements here and there. Hope this helps,