Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3cffts

Fly! II Flight Planner not finding waypoints

Guest 3cffts

When I run a search for waypoints to add to a route, using the flight planner, the result often is that the waypoint is not found. Also it is not displayed on the route map in Flight Planner. However, when looking into the Waypoint.pod, using VolEdit! or Excel, the waypoint is in fact in the .pod/.dbf. But Fly! does not find it. This seems to be a problem with indexing of the .pod by Fly! II ?Does anyone know how to rebuild the natural order of the waypoints in the pod so that waypoints are in unique key alphabetical order, and they are also in the same order as the record numbers? This would mean a new index file also (.dbi?) ?I am using the excellent glass_cockpit navigation display (by Laurent Claudet and T.J.) to show waypoints while enroute, and likewise the missing waypoints do not appear on this display.Cheers, Brian.

Hi Brian,I remember running into this a couple of years ago when editing the DB for some new approaches. Some of the waypoints could be found while others couldn't. In order to add the waypoint to a flight plan, I had to zoom in on the flight planner, find the waypoint and select it manually.I'm not certain as to the cause of the flight planner missing some waypoints with the search function. I have added some waypoints to the DB on occasion - these are now found by the planner. If you can give me an example of a specific waypoint that's not being found (but is in the DB) and a similar waypoint by comparison that is being found, I'll be happy to check out the parameters and compare the data.BTW - sorry for the long pause in communications. I was knocked off the Web for 6 weeks (as far as my home office was concerned) when my mother board failed. It took over a month to find a replacement, as my type of board is no longer made. I do so much with a computer, whether personally or for work, that it's been really difficult!

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts
Hi Brian,I remember running into this a couple of years ago when editing the DB for some new approaches. Some of the waypoints could be found while others couldn't. In order to add the waypoint to a flight plan, I had to zoom in on the flight planner, find the waypoint and select it manually.I'm not certain as to the cause of the flight planner missing some waypoints with the search function. I have added some waypoints to the DB on occasion - these are now found by the planner. If you can give me an example of a specific waypoint that's not being found (but is in the DB) and a similar waypoint by comparison that is being found, I'll be happy to check out the parameters and compare the data.BTW - sorry for the long pause in communications. I was knocked off the Web for 6 weeks (as far as my home office was concerned) when my mother board failed. It took over a month to find a replacement, as my type of board is no longer made. I do so much with a computer, whether personally or for work, that it's been really difficult!

Guest 3cffts

Hello Randall,I believe I have been able to change the natural order of the waypoint.pod. I am working with a very small .pod that contains only the waypoints for North Carolina. I did this by emptying out the waypoint pod except for three records, then adding back in all the NC waypoints in unique key indexed order. Now both natural and indexed order of the records are the same. The result seems to be that the flight planner now displays the waypoints that were missing. (e.g. ZOPOC, ZEBUL, RELPY, and likely others).It is now possible to add these waypoints to a flight plan route by using the mouse to add them from the map, but, not by using the navigation log and its 'add' button. When the 'search' button is used, the answer is 'not found' for all of the example waypoints. I will try try re-ordering the pod in 'name' order instead of 'unique key' order and see if that works. I still have a problem of the glass_cockpit not displaying all of the waypoints past the destination airport. e.g. On a flight plan route from CLT to RDU all waypoints displayed up to RDU, but not ZEBUL, MURAY and others to the north-east of RDU. I am beginning to think that it may be a problem with the glass_cockpit .dll, but am not certain.If these waypoints were displayed it would be so much easier to complete a missed approach procedure and do a hold to the north/east. I am really hoping that Fly Legacy will give us improvements in this area.Brian.

Brian: I too am not certain why, but I can tell you the work around. Before you search for the waypoint in the country window select "all countries" and in the states window you should see "no states". Now click on the search button and the waypoint should appear.LarryG

Guest 3cffts
Brian: I too am not certain why, but I can tell you the work around. Before you search for the waypoint in the country window select "all countries" and in the states window you should see "no states". Now click on the search button and the waypoint should appear.LarryG
Larry, Many thanks for your work-around on the search problem ... it has worked every time! Now, if I can only get the glass_cockpit navigation display to show all the waypoints it will be really great for IFR procedures !Brian.

Larry, Many thanks for your work-around on the search problem ... it has worked every time! Now, if I can only get the glass_cockpit navigation display to show all the waypoints it will be really great for IFR procedures !Brian.
Brian,I think this goes to show that there are parameters missing on some of the data entries - therefore, the planner search system (and associated cockpit devices) cannot find them.

Randall Rocke