Sign in to follow this  
gregger

video card vs. CPU??

Hi all I am not that familiar with the in's and out's of videocards and CPUand how they impact on FPS.. I would like to upgrade my current computer so that I can get more FPS than I currently do but i don't know which device affects frame rates more (increasing) will a high end 128 mb (or the upcoming 256 mb cards) give me more FPS or is it better to simply go to a faster CPU.? does the video card simply improve the actual quality of what u are seeing on your monitor or can it also increase FPS? I can only afford to do one or the other and my primary concern is frame rates vs picture quality so i would appreciate all the help you folks can offer me with this issue.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It all depends. What kind of specs do you have?

athlon 1200; radeon 7500 64mb card; 768 mb PC133 ram.

HI,Ok My system Spec was:AMD Xthlon XP 1900+Geeforce 4 4400 TI 128Mb1Gb RamI have just (today) upgraded My sysem with a new motherboard and a New AMD Xthlon XP 2800+I faced the same dilema as you did, and after poking around in the fourms, i decided that most people think a faster CPU was the order of the day, and i think they are right.Whilst a A Radeon 9800 pro would work wanders, I think FS is very CPU intensive, especialy thing like A320 PIC. Anyways all i can say is My A320PIC is now vey flyable and it has been brought out of staorge, and Im flying it with good frame rates.Hope this helps....PS the horrible stuttering sound has gone now, when i fly in thick cloud. The whole upgrade cost me

I would have to agree with Jason. Given your current system specs, the fact that you can only do either a new CPU or a new video card and your main concern is higher frame rates, a new faster CPU would probably be a better choice for your money.Good luck.-Lindy :-wave