Sign in to follow this  
madtun

Final Tweak Problem FS9

I have been flight simming ongoing since FS2k2. I tried the first FS5 stick flying but EA gaming software had a F15 Strike Eagle program that blew FS away at the time. I have upgrade computers from PIII to Dual core. I have added more Ram from 1GB to 3GB. Already had Dell ultra sharp monitor. I have tweak the config file to death. I have taken insult from so many on how my little system is so out of date and how is it running FS9. I have add a 80GB external hardrive for aircraft storage, only keeping the top few planes (less than 10) on the main hardrive. I have upgraded my DSL to Extreme speed with a brand new Motorola modem to receive Active Sky 6.5 downloads with ease. I have listen to so many ideas and tried them all. This brings me to the point of the final tweak. VIDEO CARD is the answer. I have read about so many problems with some add-ons and FS9 and I have just received my new video card. PROBLEMS SOLVED that I was have with different add-ons including PMDG MD11, Maddog MD80 and others, crash or blinking out. I listen to all the opinions and advice about not getting the most memory card but a 512MB card for FS9. It worked!!!! I have finnaly reached my FS9 top level. I am going to enjoy this for awhile and than think about FSX. I am now going to list my specs. For all of you that laugh and say how can it run, guess what it runs great in all situations from frames rates at 12 to 60. The 12 is with ALL sliders to the right at 8 and autogen at extreme, extended textures, AS clouds at 512 settings, AI traffic at 80% including real world flightplans for KATL. ATC Live runinng, AI separation, Active Sky 6.5, Mcafee virus protection and host of other programs.My suggestion is get the RIGHT video card for your system. This has made flight simming the closest I can get at home. Dell XPS 400 Dual Core 3GB Ram NEW CARD ATI HD3650 512mb all other features mean nothing until I added the video card.Carl Perry

Guest napamule

Carl,Thanks for sharing. I know the 'feeling'. Not bad for a laptop. I am curious what BRAND of 3650 you got (might make a difference, you know) so it would help (me, anyway) to know. And is the memory on card DDR2 or DDR3? And card is under $99? (ie: not $400).I have a P4 (Dual Core). 1 Gig Ram (Matched Pair DDR). ATI X1300/x1500 512 Mb AGP. I get 30 fps and I'm 'happy'. I get 24 fps in FSX. Did my share of tweaking too (past 1 year). I am ready for an i7 920 but am not SURE of the EXACT (balance) combination of chip set, memory and video card, so still doing research on combinations. 'Nice to fly at 40' (fps) is going to be my new sig (hehe).Chuck BNapamule

Carl,Thanks for sharing. I know the 'feeling'. Not bad for a laptop. I am curious what BRAND of 3650 you got (might make a difference, you know) so it would help (me, anyway) to know. And is the memory on card DDR2 or DDR3? And card is under $99? (ie: not $400).I have a P4 (Dual Core). 1 Gig Ram (Matched Pair DDR). ATI X1300/x1500 512 Mb AGP. I get 30 fps and I'm 'happy'. I get 24 fps in FSX. Did my share of tweaking too (past 1 year). I am ready for an i7 920 but am not SURE of the EXACT (balance) combination of chip set, memory and video card, so still doing research on combinations. 'Nice to fly at 40' (fps) is going to be my new sig (hehe).Chuck BNapamule
Believe it or not DDR2 and the card was $79 US dollars.Carl Perry