Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

Meigs Editorial in FLYING Magazine

Anyone who's been following the political debacle and general faux-pas that was behind the Meigs Field closing last month might be interested in the current GEAR UP column by Dick Carl in this month's issue of Flying Magazine. IMHO, he's spot on. http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/c-130-ani.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest tkjake

Hi. I just read that yesterday and he is on the money. What surprised the heck out of me is that there was a lakefront airport in Milwaukee at one time. I'm 33 and that's the first I have heard of it. My dad can't even remember where it was and he's lived here all his life! Anyway, about Meigs. Yes, it was lightly used. Yes, it was owned by the City of Chicago completely. Yes, they have every right to do with their property as they see fit.It's the way it was done that is the problem, not that it was closed. In reality, it was a nice little airport, unique even. It, however, was a money loser, was very often fogged in, and not very practical except for medivac helo's and GA aircraft flying in for conventions. But it was a publicly owned facility and deserved a public debate as to it's future by elected officials. Ok, it's Chicago, where the Daley family rules.The problem here is not, and really never was, the closing of Meigs. It's the lack of resect that was shown to the people of Chicago by the summary execution of a public property. Here's to a better fate for Burke Lakefront Airport