Sign in to follow this  
Guest product

Night Autogen Framerates

Hi,I never used to like Autogen, felt it looked pretty random and fake, until I downloaded some great South Florida scenery that it seems to work really well with. I now fly with it set at "very high" level.My system is near top-notch- P4 3.06, 1mb RDRAM, Radeon 9700, so I get smooth framerates locked at 30FPS flying the Dreamfleet Archer. That is, during the daytime... I tried flying at night yesterday and found that the Autogen (apparently) brings my system to a near stall (4FPS)! while looking out the side windows at less than 1500 ft. Above that altitude it smooths out.I know all those little twinkling lights must take some system power, but am I alone in this? If not, can anyone fly at night with Autogen in a somewhat developed area (I'm talking West Palm Beach, not Miami- so there's virtually no default scenery buildings). I'd like to hear if this low framrate problem is normal? And why only out the side windows? Things remain smooth if I look straight out.Any insight appreciated, thanks!Best,Joel

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Joel,Autogen is not to blame. Autogen buildings and tress are simple box like figures with small bitmaps applied to their sides. The only difference between the day and night versions is the bitmap. There are no lights at all.What you are experiencing is more likely an anomaly in Flight Simulator that occurs around a few areas, including Palm Beach. It seems to be related to a bug in the approach lights at the airport and is only active at dusk and night (and probably dawn.) The solution? Don't fly at night in Palm Beach and hope that the next version of the game has fixed this problem.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis,Thanks for the information, interesting problem I never know about!Best,Joel