Sign in to follow this  
Guest DNelson

How to fly a DME Arc?

Ok.I really don't understand how to fly a DME Arc, I herd some guys talking about it at the airport but I never got much in.Is a DME Arc hard to do? Is it explainable for here? Could someone give me a link? LOL

O.k., First off. let me say that in today's world of full color moving map GPS units, the art of flying a dme-arc will soon be a thing of the past but here goes. And by the way, I almost blew my instrument check-ride in real life by exceeding the tolereances of a dme arc on partial panel so, believe me, I know what I'm talking about. DME arc have a reference to a nav-aid such as a vor or a vortac, such as, let's say, 7 miles. The point is to fly an arc, 7 miles from the vor until lined up with the approach path. So when flying, for example, AWAY from the vor start your turn at about 6.5 miles from the vor as measured by the gps or dme. If tracking outbound on the 360 radial and intercepting the right turning arc, turn to a heading 100 degrees to the radial you are on and adjust your obs 10 degrees and wait until you cross the 010 radial. So basically your turning from 360 to 100 degrees and looking for the vor needle to center on the 010 radial. When it does center, turn right an additional 10 degrees and reses the obs to the 020 radial and wait for crossing of THAT radia....so forth and so on...until you get to the final approach course.Don Bowler

Hi,You might want to check the explanation on our website:www.scandva.orgFlight Operations menu / Flight Procedures / DME Arc

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest RogerRoger

If you want to make it really easy - and there is an NDB near the VOR/DME you are flying the arc on, simply tune the NDB and keep your ADF needle 90 deg. from your nose making a turn every now and then to keep it there.

Guest UweR

Hi, if you need a visual aid to the above or further information, the Air Force published an Instrument Flight Pocedures e-book in PDF format (11-217v1 pages 105 and following) which is pretty good, I can extract the relevant pages easily (send contact information via PM) or you may download it here if you have DSL or a faster connection (25 MB).http://www.freebirdswing.org/TacReference/RefMaterial.aspLots of goodies to be found...Hope it helps, Uwe

Guest enave

>If you want to make it really easy - and there is an NDB near>the VOR/DME you are flying the arc on, simply tune the NDB and>keep your ADF needle 90 deg. from your nose making a turn>every now and then to keep it there.That will result in a path that slowly spirals out from the NDB. Instead, maybe you should fly the needle to about 85 degrees and make your turn at 95 degrees :)

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm going to go on VATSIM tonight and take your replies in to MAJOUR consideration, and will follow the instructions!THANKS!

Guest DNelson

Just to make it interesting, try it with a strong wind blowing. Since the crosswind/headwind/tailwind component is constantly changing, your groundspeed and wind correction angle is also constantly changing. It can get really confusing.Dan