Sign in to follow this  
Guest A321

More RAM - blurred textures all but gone

Joel...Don't know if you've ever been to the desert SW... But from anywhere above 1000 ft. AGL here in Phoenix, vis often runs to the SF peaks near Flagstaff, over 100 miles distant. Replicating realistic visibility is always in the eye (or the location) of the beholder :)I agree that the odd dynamic blurries add to the realism. Going to my desert SW example, we may have high vis, but within that 100 mile Window you'll see patches obscured by haze, inversion layers, etc.... I have never seen it perfectly clear to the horizon--and have never seen anything matching MSFS's clarity. And I've logged a lot of miles in the air. Also, anywhere on the East coast in the midst of a humid summer, and you're looking at very low vis even in the flight levels...Luckily, the extra RAM along with running with HW T&L enabled, and I can run with any level of vis. I want...What the RAM did for me was eliminate all factors slowing the clearing of the blurries--so if they do take that odd blur, they clear up very fast. I haven't applied the FS2002 config tweaks--looks a bit unrealistic to me. I prefer to have some blurring of the textures as the view extends to the horizon.-John

Hi Noel,>I don't think you will gain anything going beyond 512, certainly not beyond 1024.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

I wouldn't be able to duplicate that as I have dual channel modules in. I think I would have to agree you will notice a diff up to 1024, but not beyond as the gent suggested he was buying 2GB. I have ultra fast SCSI drives and I believe there is less CPU involvement so swapping is not as much of a hit anywho. The thing that puzzles me is the continuous use of the swap file despite having plenty of free ram. Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Hi Noel,>I wouldn't be able to duplicate that as I have dual channel modules in.< Same here, I didn't think of that - do you expect that this may have contributed more to the performance gain than the amount of RAM, i.e. would I have seen less of an improvement, if I had switched from 2x256MB to 2x512MB?Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Gosta you know I did the RamDiskNT experiment some time ago and I really didn't pay close enough attention to texture "tiling" rate. As it is now there is not much of a catch up happening as its pretty much real time even with high density mesh and detailed aircraft, and land class updates installed. But there is some. I will go check out using a virtual swap file and see if there is ANY noticable diff.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X