Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

Wrong run way

Guest shaunm

Hi Guys Some one might say i got the wrong forum group,but so what. I set up a flight tonight from KEWR to KMCO. I flew down on a 737 using RC3.1, I had down loaded the real weather using active sky. I also have on my system UT installed for all those lovelly AI aircraft. The problem i found was that when i arrived down at Orlando and was asked to leave the frequency for weather, i was told that they were using runway 35. When i am on finals i see that every one else is using 17. Should i be doing some thing else to find out the correct run way for landing. I dont know why i keep getting assigned a runway that is in use for on comming traffic. Before i take off i usally sit and whatch the traffic comming and going,that way i can see what run ways are in use. But it can be difficult when you approach your arrival airport. Thanks in advance Shaun.

Guest Captain Barfbag

It seems that runway assignments are always based on your current weather, even if you're not at that airport. So, if you're in, say, Baltimore and the wind is from the south, all the planes in Orlando will be landing on 17. As you get to Orlando, the wind shifts to the north, but all those planes are still landing (and taking off) on 17, and they can't change. After a while, all the planes assigned to 17 will be out of the way, and ATC will use 35 for everyone, but that transition period is what you will see every time.FS Meteo has a feature called "lock to destination" which sets the destination weather to your weather when you are some distance out. I use 75-100 miles for this, which give the traffic enough time to adjust before I land, although I still sometimes have problems. I don't know if Active Sky has this feature.Since I got cable internet, I'm using real-time weather and I find that works much better.Another thing to consider is the instrumentation on the runways. I've often seen IFR flights landing on the wrong end of the runway because the correct end (which was also being used for takeoffs and VFR landings) was not instrumented.Will FS2004 fix this? I guess we only have a few more weeks to wait.

Shaun,Lucky for you I browse the general forum also. The AI planes will, by default, usually use the wrong runway based on winds. They use runway length. But for you however using AS, you will get the correct runway. You can look at your destination weather by using the Destination Weather box at the top of AS. No, it will not tell you the exact runway, but it will be close.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support