Sign in to follow this  
Turbo_prop

How to maintain the same quality as the original paint.

Hello.I have had the privilege of being allowed to do a cockpit repaint for the Flight1/Coolsky Super80 Pro model and releasing it to the public.I am having problems with quality loss after repainting the textures in Paint shop Pro X2 even though the repaint looks awesome within PSP, it seem to lose the clarity somewhere along the way of again saving the images as DDS files.So here is a step by step explanation of how I normally do it, and see if you can find a better way of doing it.1. I open DXTbmp and select the file I want to repaint in the texture folder of the airplane.2. I save the file as a TGA file and save it in my temp folder.3. I edit the files in Paint shop and give them all new colors not touching anything within the option of color depth in PSP.4. I save and overwrite the file in my temp folder from Paint shop.5. I open up DXTbmp and find the repainted file to get it compatible with FSX again.6. I save the file in DXTbmp to a DLL file, and put the new file back into the airplanes texture folder within FSX again, and try out the new pain.And it looks terrible compared with the original paint that came with the airplane.Only after saving the repainted file as a DDS 888-8 32bit am I able to maintain the same quality as the original paint. But the author of the airplane says that I need to save the textures as 256bit images, and when I do, it looks like something from FS98. So if I want the best quality, I have to save in the highest possible resolution, but then again the files will be almost four times as large as the original. From 1Mb to 4Mb.What am I doing wrong?

By the way, how do I go about changing the resolution of the textures to get a higher definition on the textures? Is there an easy way of doing it?

I would try 1) opening the original texture in DXTBmp2) send it to your editor, without closing DXTBmp3) make your edits, then save the file4) "refresh after edit", then saveMake sure you have un-checked the box for MipMaps "include when saving"Note that any compression algorithm will cause some loss of quality.

how do I go about changing the resolution of the textures?
Simply by changing the size dimension of the bitmap, remembering FS requires bitmaps to be sized to a square of 2. Note however this will change the file size exponentially and may not sit well with your customer. Hope this helps,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Untick the boxes to the right one is for mipmaps like Joe says . That is your problem because you say the textures look fine in dds . Saving as dds textures you need the boxes ticked but saving as bmp they need to be unticked .Lee Marrow