Sign in to follow this  
Guest kyle

FSUIPC Interesting note from a friend with COF

Guest kyle

No, I am stating that FS works perfectly fine on my system. Since when is it the job of MS to ensure that third-party add-on's work on all versions?Sure the add-on's (some of them) do not work. That is expected. Surely you do not expect it to be MS' job to only release a version if all currently released add-on's work in it? THat is truly dreaming.FSUIPC does not solely rely on the SDK's - it rely's on the knowledge that Peter Dowson has of the program from many years of developing it. So far, yes. It does seem clearly obvious to me that anything that followed the SDK's does work. But you have to remember, so many add-on's rely on other third-party files that may not be built around the SDK's.

Guest kyle

Well, I can not agree with you.I make my living off of designing aviation related software and solutions and in no way would I ever release my code to better the industry.Secondly, visiting forums like these you do get the impression that this is a large community but there is absolutely no way you can compare Linux with FS. Linux is HUGE and so is the very community that it was founded on. Out of all purchases of MSFS, I would be surprised if over 5% actually visited online FS web sites.To think that FS could sustain itself as a open-source product in my view would be inaccurate. Afterall, the majority of people that visit this site download rather then upload. With the recent outcry of some complaining that some developers have now decided to charge for their ideas and efforts, leaves me to think this community we have would become extremely polarized if your idea came true. MS provides us with a foundation, one hell of a foundation at that.

I don't think anyone ever said that they weren't going to buy or support Pete in this thread... Heck I *HAVE* to buy the dll to run my PFC stuff... yeah I'm a little disappointed after shelling out cash for Avionics, yoke, rudder, and throttles only to see it won't work, and now I have to buy something else to make it work, but Hey, thats the way she blows I guess... As for M$ not changing anything, heck Pete said in his post..."The relationship between FSUIPC and FS is very intricate. It isn't using regular gauge/panel interfaces, they do not provide enough control nor data. "The way I read that is something has changed, and from what I remember he said he's spent 120 hours on it I believe, no one can deny that M$ has changed soemthing somewhere!!Chris

Guest kyle

Chris - no one is saying that MS has not changed things - but rather why is it MS' job to ensure that third party programs still work????Seriously, if this HAD to be the case, we would still be flying FS 5.0. MS has every right to upgrade their program and so they should to make our enjoyment that much more pleasing. And Peter Dowson has every reason to charge for his programming efforts since it is so obvious that a lot of others are reaping the benefits of it but not him.