Sign in to follow this  

Final Approach

What type of final approach do larger commercial aircraft (757, a320, etc...) most frequently conduct. ILS or Visual? How long is there final approach (5, 10, 15 miles...?)?Do they use ILS until they clearly see the runway then go visual?

Guest CYOW_pilot

Most commercial operators would do a visual, weather permitting, because of the operational efficiencies gained (less time and fuel required usually). The exceptions to this would be if they required the approach for some sort of training or currency requirement or perhaps if they were not familiar with the airport. In any event, even for a visual approach good airmanship dictates that you have the appropriate approach aids dialed in, if nothing else than to make sure you are flying the visual approach to the right airport (it has happened!). At night,depending on the lighting conditions and surrounding environment, crews would be more likely to fly an approach, even if visual conditions prevail.When flying an ILS I would think most crews would go visual (not a visual approach, but rather flying by reference to the runway environment rather than just the ILS indications) when they were able to safely do so. Let's say there is an 800 ft ceiling and 3 miles vis, the crew would fly solely with reference to instruments (ILS for example) but once they break out most pilots I know would then fly visually for the remainder, cross checking their instruments to make sure they don't stray too far.If you are doing an ILS typically, at least here in North America, they will turn you on to final around 10 to 12nm back from the runway. In Asia, they may use much longer final setups.Kevin in CYOW

It is standard operating procedure to use whatever the best guidance for Glideslope is available as a backup at all times. Even in visual conditions. If there is a glideslope availabel we ALWAYS use it until inside the middle marker where we can then position the aircraft to touchdown in the landing zone safely. This means that on shorter runways we can dip below the glideslope very close to the runway so as not to waste any. We use whatever aids are available even in good weather. I fly for Delta, 757/767. It is SOP to use the electronic sources as backup whenever available. i would bet good money on the fact that it is this way at al the other big airlines and corporate flight departments.Hornit

>i would bet good money>on the fact that it is this way at al the other big airlines>and corporate flight departments.Flying for a Fortune 50 department we do it the same as Hornit describes DAL SOP.On a side note, speaking as someone who has spent more than my share of time in the box and as one who has taught both G-IV and G-V recurrent at FSI I can say it is nearly impossible to hand fly a visual approach in the Sim w/o some outside guidance to help you judge your progress. It