Sign in to follow this  
1mikel151

Interesting reading.......

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This has been hashed about a lot in the forums. I allow flightsim.com to host my freeware files. My simple rule--if free access is available, even on a restricted basis, then my files can be posted there. Many people frequent and moderate that site whom I admire, such as Lou Betti--one of the driving forces in quality payware today. I'm proud to have my files hosted on this site and theirs.As for files appearing on other sites in general, what we put in our license agreements doesn't mean the people downloading our work can read them--and I say that with good intentions. Many downloaders are from other countries, and don's speak or understand a word of English. They just see what we do, like it, and upload the file to another site. OTH, many have also asked my permission to use my work. Two gentleman stand out--one from France, and one from Italy. They not only asked to host my utilities--they also translated the documents into their native tougues. I write freeware (and I think many do but won't admit it) because I want to cultivate friendships and get myself known--I've already been offered one job, just based on a tool I wrote years back (not MSFS related--it was a relational database management system). I didn't take the job--but it gives me pause to think about where I'd be if things went south in what I do today. The more you're widely known, the better. My company has been approached by a number of agencies offering remote, offshore network support--essentially eliminating my in-house, network support. I'm not going to be too picky about where my software ends up, as long as no one's forcing people to pay to access it. It may provide me the one contact or friendship that makes all the difference....-John

HyeI too have had some of my files uploaded to various websites without my permission. fsdome.com comes to mind.

I am really surprized flightsim.com would do that, maybe they have done it all along, but I never noticed. I have always uploaded my files to here first, then simviation and FS.com afterwards, FSplanet has always followed suite and had it hosted on their site soon after...which is fine by me, saves me the time and they go the extra effort to make it look nice in the pics. Now if I ever see any of my stuff on a disc for sale, that is a whole other story!!!Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com