Sign in to follow this  
outlaw2001it

FS9 panels on a widescreen monitor

I just got my new LG (Full HD) 22" monitor. Impressive...yes, big...yes, hard on the eyes when flying FS9...yes. Matter of fact my eyes are still trying to adjust while I'm trying to type this. Anyway, I'm writing this about panels on a widescreen monitor, and not about my eyes being the size of saucers. I've noticed in other posts that people are/were complaining about the gauges in FS9 looking oval (not round) on a widescreen monitor, and that the companies/people that make the panels should be looking to modify/build panels for widescreen monitors. While I do believe this is true, I did find out a few things while messing around with my monitor, and modifying panels using FS Panel Studio. I modified the panel from the Default Cessna 172, and a panel of my own design, and this is what I came up with. Depending on what resolution you are going to be using affects how the gauges appear on the panel in widescreen. For example I modified the gauges for a Full HD screen 1920x1080 - results: awesome!!! However I am taking frame hits on a Pentium D processor with a Nvidia 9500 GT (1 GB memory). Getting back to the gauges - perfectly round...etc. Now as I move toward lower screen resolutions the gauges start going back to oval, and not being round. Again I adjusted the gauges in FS Panel Studio, to whatever resolution that I was at to get them round again. For anybody that wants to try to edit their gauges so they look nice on a widescreen monitor the only thing you need to do is open up your panel configuration file, and edit the entry for whatever gauge/gauges you feel that needs to be modified. I know that there are tutorials within the forum for editing gauges, but I just wanted to include this so nobody has to dig around for it. For example: gauge34=Excalibur 1\Copy of L60!L60_ITT2, 943,545,94,94. First you have the gauge number, followed by the gauge entry (name), followed by the location/size. First number is the X Position (Horizontal), second number is the Y Position (Vertical), third number is the X size, and the fourth number is the Y size. What I have done to get the best results was decrease the X size (3rd number) by 10 (on round gauges)...this came out perfectly round at least on 1920X1080. Other resolutions I found to decrease the number by at least 6-14. Other gauges got an decrease by about 6, and higher (again at 1920x1080). If you need to get the gauge back to the original position after modifying it increase/or decrease the X position number (first number). If you decreased the X Size number (third number) by 10, increase the X position number (first number)by 10. That should put everything back into perspective. you might have to fool around a bit to see how things look...back up you original configuration before doing anything.Rig:Pentium D 3.0 GHZ2GB DDR2 667Asus Nvidia 9500GT 1GB RamAverage Framerate FS9 (all things maxed out/30 Percent Traffic): 32