Sign in to follow this  

Hardware question

Do any of you know if a USB ADSL modem would work plugged into a hub via a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor ? I just don't want to have to turn two computers on with Internet Connection Sharing to browse the web.Thanks in advance,__________________________________________________________EricUPDATED: List of all airlines, aircraft manufacturers and aircraft types recognised by ATC:http://www.geocities.com/eric_2203/orhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?D...atID=fs2002misc

In theory it would work. But it would probably be better in the long run to set up a gateway with the adsl running straight onto the HUB. If its anything like ISDN Its probably better getting an NON-usb ADSL modem!Clod

Well, you would need a USB router then. You can't use a normal hub. How are you getting your IP address? Static or dynamic? Can you purchase additional addresses? If you can, then you need to buy an address for each of your PCs. Some ISPs will sell you a range to use, so you may want to check this out. Other than that, you may want to switch your modem to an Ethernet one.Your ISP assigns your ADSL modem an address, and the router does the translation. The PCs don't really recognize or detect the router, they just know that this is where all traffic is sent to and from, and where to get an address (if you use DHCP). The router does all the work. No need to worry about configuring it, just 1 - plug, 2 - play, 3 - read the manual later.This is also known as a "gateway".

I thought that much. :/ Well I'll guess it'll be ICS then, won't it ? Can't afford to spend a lot on inet equipment...By the way, would you know if an adaptor to make a straight cable a crossover one exists ? And possibly an alternative to Microsoft's ICS ?__________________________________________________________EricUPDATED: List of all airlines, aircraft manufacturers and aircraft types recognised by ATC:http://www.geocities.com/eric_2203/orhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?D...atID=fs2002misc

Not that I know of, Eric. For all intent and purpose, you are looking to run an internet gateway. You will either need a hardware (router), or software (ICS) solution. YOu need to off load this service from one of your PCs in order to leave one of them off. This means you will need a router that has gateway functionality. This is not the same as a "hub". Are you sure your modem only has a USB port, and no RJ45? Seems strange...What type of cross over cable are you looking for? Serial or Ethernet?Either or can be fabricated or purchased at a minimal cost.If you just want to be able to connect the two together, for about $46 you can pick up 2 ethernet 10/100 cards and 10/100 hub. I just priced this out at www.outpost.comJust install the cards, connect to the hub, and install the TCP/IP protocol on each workstation. Assign a static address to each, you can use 192.168.10.xxx where xxx = 1-255 Use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0Running ICS at this point would be a good way to go. Run XP on both PCs, and the setup is super easy.Only other solution that might work is Norton PC Anywhere, but you would still have to leave a host running 24/7. There are other solutions out there, I'm sure, but these are the most "visable".Good luck!! Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.