Sign in to follow this  
nopatio

MD-11, FS9 and Windows 7

Hi There. I just got a new PC with Windows 7 as operating system. I got my "old" hard drive installed in the new machine which included my well worn FS 9. When I run the FS, my MD-11 turns up with black instruments, like there were no electricity at all, even when the engines are running. I guessed I would have to reinstall the MD-11, but by doing so, the installation were stopped, saying "you have to install SP1 for FS9 before you can continue". OK, I then wanted to do this, but by running the updating for SP1, I was told it was not necessary as it was already updated. So I can not install my MD-11, nor can I update FS 9, as it is already done. Anyone have a solution for this problem???? :( Cheersnopatio

Hi There. I just got a new PC with Windows 7 as operating system. I got my "old" hard drive installed in the new machine which included my well worn FS 9. When I run the FS, my MD-11 turns up with black instruments, like there were no electricity at all, even when the engines are running. I guessed I would have to reinstall the MD-11, but by doing so, the installation were stopped, saying "you have to install SP1 for FS9 before you can continue". OK, I then wanted to do this, but by running the updating for SP1, I was told it was not necessary as it was already updated. So I can not install my MD-11, nor can I update FS 9, as it is already done. Anyone have a solution for this problem???? :( Cheersnopatio
Hey Nopatio,I'm surprised fs9 will even load. The problems are because your windows registry. When you install a program it isn't just placing the software on a drive but also puts certain files in documents and setting, program data, roaming, etc, etc... not many now a days run from one directory alone. To have 0 issues you would either need to be great around the registry or need a full reinstall. At least that's the only way I can see it. I never had fs9 for long so can't say exactly. I do know some software can be cut and pasted on a usb drive and still work, but thats only if there are no registry strings tied to them.Also, please sign your full name to posts in this forum, thanks :)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hey Nopatio,I'm surprised fs9 will even load. The problems are because your windows registry. When you install a program it isn't just placing the software on a drive but also puts certain files in documents and setting, program data, roaming, etc, etc... not many now a days run from one directory alone. To have 0 issues you would either need to be great around the registry or need a full reinstall. At least that's the only way I can see it. I never had fs9 for long so can't say exactly. I do know some software can be cut and pasted on a usb drive and still work, but thats only if there are no registry strings tied to them.Also, please sign your full name to posts in this forum, thanks :)
OK, I got solved the registry problem with a Flight 1 registry fix program, but it doesn't change anything in my main problem: to reload and get my PMDG MD-11 fully functional and flyable again. The result is the same, the install program tells me to update to 9,1 (which it has already been for many years now) and when I try to run the upgrade once more, I cant as I am told it is already updated. The same result with PMDG 737 NG, but there the installer goes fine, but no change are made in the end result. I do hope someone know what to do. :( CheersNopatioBjarne Otto

OK, I got solved the registry problem with a Flight 1 registry fix program, but it doesn't change anything in my main problem: to reload and get my PMDG MD-11 fully functional and flyable again. The result is the same, the install program tells me to update to 9,1 (which it has already been for many years now) and when I try to run the upgrade once more, I cant as I am told it is already updated. The same result with PMDG 737 NG, but there the installer goes fine, but no change are made in the end result. I do hope someone know what to do. :( CheersNopatioBjarne Otto
To make sure I understand you 100%1.) You got a new computer and installed your old hard drive that already had FS9 and all of your addons on it into the new computer.2.) You have not actually installed any program, such as FS9, or any Addons through their actual installers in Windows 7.When you install an application, it does more than just copy files to disk. The registry is told during installation where your files are installed and registry strings are created pointing to certain files and contain certain data. When you install FSX (cannot say for FS9 since I do not have it), it also installs files and folders to other parts of the hard drive such as Documents and settings, App/Roaming, Program Data, etc... Some programs or addons do not, but most of mine do. The fact that you have all of your apps doesn't mean you have all the data, and most importantly Windows Registry has no record of them. Example, if you go into Add/Remove programs, none of the programs installed on it will be listed. Anything requiring an activation will also, no longer have it's validation keys in their correct places. If #1 & #2 are correct then you would need to reinstall everything all over, a New, Fresh install. You can still use some files for back ups, but as far as the core programs that you never installed on this new computer, you would have to remove them manually at this point by deleting the folders and files. I am very very surprised that FS9 even works at all if you never actually installed it with the new OS aware of it. I know some apps will, WOW for example can be played after the method you described but in this case when you try and install a service pack it checks certain files that tell it what version it is and aborts. Other apps query the registry and if the relevant data string isn't there it won't work either.I would go through each of your folders from your old drive and back up any files you may want later, but if I'm understanding this correctly, you need to then manually delete the old programs and associate folders and do a fresh install from scratch.You could try to install everything to a new directory for now, whether it be on your new drive or old just DONT point to where your old programs are or it will stop some from installing and give you the errors you've mentioned.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier