Sign in to follow this  

Peotone Airport = Paul H. Poberenzy Airport?

Besides the obvious fact that the new Peotone Airport's (about 1.5-2 hours south of Chicago Midway by car) identifier will be KEON because of the EON Peotone VOR, what will the official name be?I am suggesting Paul H. Poberenzy. He is a 30 year pilot vetran of the United States's military. He is a test pilot, he has flown over 350 different types of aircraft. He is the founder of the world famous EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association.) What better man to have the new Peotone Airport named after? It is my opinion that Mr. Paul H. Poberenzy has earned his right to have a major airport named after him. If you agree with me, then send me an email at;metro760@prodigy.netI will forward all of your letters, and add your name to a list of supporters for naming the Peotone airport, Paul H. Poberenzy Airport.For those of you more criticle folk;You may say, does one not have to be dead in order to have an airport named after him? No, absolutely not. One prime example is George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston Texas, KIAH. Some quick facts on Mr. Poberenzy:http://www.firstflight.org/shrine/poberezny.htmlI also intend on writing letters to the Chicago DOA, Illinois DOT, FAA, and Govenor Ryan.Thank you all so very much,--------------http://thevirtualairline.com/docs/images/tva_paulbanner5.gif

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Not sure if Paul had a Chicago connection. Of course EAA used to be HQ'd in Rockford before it moved up to OSH. I'd be willing to bet OSH gets Paul's name. Beside's its hard to say on the radio. By the time I get my tongue twisted around "Poberenzy Tower" at the marker I'd be at the threshold.I think it will more likely be named after Bessie Coleman (sorry if I mispelled her name). She has a Chicago/ILL connection and a very interesting, and difficult life in early aviation. The only real memorial I know of is the street that is on ORD's east side past long-term parking.But of course the politicals will name it "Boss International" after Dailey Sr. Or "Fitz Fits Int'l" after our Senator who is trying hard to get it's construction at the expense of ORD.How many here remember the "Scoop Jackson Int'l Airport?" naming hassle.At the rate the State politicals are falling from the former Sect. of States scandle, maybe some will get to work on its maintenance picking up trash (ooops, they'd fail the background checks).However, in keeping with the trend of selling naming rights for sports stadiums, maybe a sports team would buy the name. I mean we have the 'United Center' in Chicago, so:Why not Bear's Field International, nope, the hometown airline would never have a "touchdown".Well maybe "Cub's Field", with the lights on only certain nights so the neighborhood is not disturbed. (Non-Chicago folks won't understand that one).Maybe Lincoln International from the movie "Airport" that was suppose to take place in Chicago, but filmed at MSP. Where is George Kennedy....Maybe "Bill Gate's International" which would make it the new default start-up airport for Flight Simulator forever.....or just move the name "Meigs" down there after it closes.Be interested what Sherman the K. has to say, he is well connected and frequents the board. Timothy

Then why is Abe on our License Plates? I think we traded Kentucky two forwards and a guard for him.Come to think of it, I don't think George Bush Sr. was born in Texas was he? (not sure on that)I do like the Grant Airport name, though we'd have to wait 24 hours between connecting flights (he had a fondness for drinking).Of course we could name it after Michael Jordan, call it "His Airness Int'l"Then there is Oprah.....You know, based on the way things "go" here in the States, we will be dead and gone by the time they get around to building it anyway.....Timothy