Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

craig_read

Replace only the CPU?

I am thinking about upgrading I have a 9800 GTX + at the moment in a system with a Q6600 at 3.4Ghz with 4GB of RAM. I am thinking of upgrading only the CPU, RAM, Board and Operating System to the following.I7 920 @ 4.0GHz (this is guaranteed btw and part of the purchase)6GB RAMAsus Rampage II X58 moboWindows 7 64 Home PremiumBearing in mind that FSX is heavily CPU loaded and not so much GPU can I get away with keeping the Graphics card here and not upgrading that right away and still get a significant performance increase with this setup?(No raptors or SSDs will be purchased, I am considering these upgrades along with the GPU later IF it turns out I need them)ThanksCraig

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I got a 25% increase of average fps in FSX when I replaced an 8800GTX card with a GTX285 (OC:ed).

I got a 25% increase of average fps in FSX when I replaced an 8800GTX card with a GTX285 (OC:ed).
What is the FPS on your system.. seems you're running a similar clockspeed etc.. to the machine I am looking at but with a higher spec graphics card..More information would be appreciated.

The FPS varies depending on where I fly and with the display settings. No point in discussing fps. That's why I gave you a percentage.