Sign in to follow this  
Guest A321

Navigating in the CS727

What are the options, VOR-VOR, and ADF? Would it be highly unrealistic to put the Garmin 530XP in it. I say this because I still dont fully understand the navigation instruments in the 727.Do you think CS would ever put an FMC in their 727.ThanksJason

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wow 12 years!!, What happens though on long legs over sea. Say on a flight from KJFK-EGLL, how the hell would you navigate that one. I assume there are no VOR's over the Sea.Jason

Well, from one who "was there" when the 727's were first coming out, I can honestly tell you that it was all High Level Airways (VOR or NDB) navigation. There was no such thing as an FMC then, and not every carrier retro-fitted their birds with FMC's. Some had the Trimble GPS installed in later years. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think in remote areas the 727 could make use of celestial navigation, but I could be wrong on that one. On that same note, the 727 was not authorized for trans-oceanic travel in those days. By law you had to run a 4 engined aircraft (prop or jet, and yes I know about the DC 3, but that was earlier still) to cross the pond. In 707's, DC 8's and whatnot, you did use celestial navigation, then INS when it came into being. Some 727's maybe had INS added as well, but I'm not sure about that either. In any event, for where you will be flying the 727's today, VOR or NDB navigation will certainly do the trick for you, unless you are in some locations in the high arctic or antarctic. There's really no reason to fly a '27 in the Antarctic, but for the high arctic, you might want to add a simulated Trimble GPS if you can find one. The KLN90B does a nice job too, and is similar in appearance.My preference? VOR or NDB nav :-). Learn how to do a good NDB approach in a 27 and you'll feel like you've accomplished something :-).Glenn

Get yourself a set of high altitude en-route charts for about $12 at Sporty's aviation store. VOR navigation is all about triangulation and timing. The charts will give you the intercept data for the nav aid you will need to triangulate on when you are crossing an intersection of waypoint on an airway. It's not that hard - it's pretty good fun. Colin

Jason,727s were not and would not be used for that type of route. If you had to ferry one across the pond without RNAV there are routes (called Blue Spruce Routes) that are made to be flown with short range (NDB, VOR) navaids. These routes run from Scotland over to Iceland across the bottom of Greenland to the northeast coast of Canada.Some 727 operators did put in INS (I believe First Air has it in some of their airplanes and some Air Canada aircraft had it towards the end of their life at the airline).Kevin in CYOW

Jason,727s were not and would not be used for that type of route. If you had to ferry one across the pond without RNAV there are routes (called Blue Spruce Routes) that are made to be flown with short range (NDB, VOR) navaids. These routes run from Scotland over to Iceland across the bottom of Greenland to the northeast coast of Canada.Some 727 operators did put in INS (I believe First Air has it in some of their airplanes and some Air Canada aircraft had it towards the end of their life at the airline).Kevin in CYOW

Fly it the way "REAL MEN" fly it A321 ;-) Use the VOR's. This is a medium range jetliner. It wouldn't EVER make a trans-oceanic trip.

Couldn't agree more. Only recently did I switch from FMC navigation to VOR flying. There is nothing like the satisfaction of "getting it right", which if done correctly, will happen most of the time. Add's that extra bit of a challenge to simulated flight....Regards,Boone