Sign in to follow this  
destro87

New Rig for FS9 and FSX

Hey guys, I'm asking for your advice regarding a new system in which I'm having built for me, which will run fs9 and fsx very well. I am wondering whether this configuration will work along with your ideas too. I have a budget of about $2500.00 USD. This is what I've come up with thus far. Any suggestions? Am I way off base? Case#1 pick- CoolerMaster HAF 932 -149.99 (blue) Hard DrivesWestern Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0 GB/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Everything looks good.Tough call on the graphics card. The 5870 is definitely faster than the GTX 285 for basically everything but MSFS. Some users here have reported higher FPS with the 5870, but lower image quality (without tweaks, which basically bring it back to the same speed as a GTX 285). The general concensus is that the GTX 285 is a better card for MSFS, or at least it's more of a known quantity and is easier to setup for MSFS. I'd recommend an i7 920 as the other chips only give you a speed boost at stock settings. When overclocking it doesn't make sense to pay more for a higher stock clockspeed. The extreme edition chips provide access to the CPU multiplier which can make overclocking a bit easier, and potentially allow for higher clockspeeds but your stated goal is within the reach of any of the chips you've selected. Go with the Noctua NH-D14 - none better on the market.

Thanks so much for the reply TechguyMaxC, I appreciate the knowledge. I am still trying to decide on the two video cards though. I think I will tell the guy building my machine to install the GTX285 per your comment on other flightsimmers experiences. Sorry for the little comments regarding my specs as this was directed to the guy building my machine and I cut and pasted it. I will definitely yell him to go with the Noctua NH-D14 air cooler since you say it is the best.. I'm still a little weary of liquid cooling.. My builder is not reccomending a liquid cooler either unless I really want it.Thanks again for the response,Myron