Sign in to follow this  
MrGreen

Operating System = OOM

Hi, ever since i bought the 747-400X ive gotten these irritating out of memory CTD's. With some other addons like UTX and GEX it getting worse and on some airports i can't even get the bird up in the air before the sim crashes.Ive tried the IncreaseUserVA switch by editing to 2560 and then decreasing by 64 steps until i came to 2304 but so far no change.In the guide i read about this tweak the author (think it was the developer to GEX, NickN?) said that if it didnt work you should probably upgrade to a 64bit version (XP or Vista)My question is: Will upgrading to Vista 64bit get rid of these problems? Or do i need to do something else as well? My first priority is to get rid of the OOM's but if i could upgrade my rig cheaply with some part that would increase the performance, what would it be?Specs: Vista 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.33Ghz (OC) 2GB RAM DDR2 (2GB are dead but ill return them soon to get new ones) Motherboard: MSI P45, NEO-F Socket 775 DDR2; 250GB HD (60%full) ATI HD4870 1GB RAM. I'd greatly appreciate advice on this matter because as it is now i can't even fly the Queen ;(Thanks

Your 1G of video is hurting you. If you have your old 512M card, try that. Otherwise, it is true that you will get rid of OOM errors (at least for this generation of software) by going to 64b. The downside is you may have problems with drivers, which I did but the only thing I couldn't keep was my old flatbed scanner.

Dan Downs KCRP

So more VRAM is actually hurting me? Why is that? Btw, what upgrade of my system would be the most "bang for the buck" in terms of hardware?Thanks in advance.

Your 32b OS can only address so much, and you have allocated half of that to VRAM. MSFS is CPU hungry and needs the memory more than the GPU does.

Dan Downs KCRP

Could i somehow trick my OS to think that i only have 500mb of VRAM? Wow, and i thought the 1gb version would improve performance...

Right now i have 0% airliners, and 0 GA, so i can fly for a while longer, and if i save i can reload from where i CTD'd; but this doesn't really make it fun to play. Im just curious about the AI traffic, i read somewhere that the thing that will make your computer slow is when fsx tries to calculate all the gates and such for the AI, but if you installed replacements like WOAI this would be fixed. Do i have to change anything else than just install the WOAI packages?And just to get back on the OS, Would you recommend me to buy a new, erm older graphics card or vista 64bit? Also the amount of RAM wont make a difference, right?Thanks in advance

Maybe you should check the FSX forum on this issue. Why not W7 64b?

Dan Downs KCRP